I watch my chickens today eat ant eggs (larva????)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by big red chicken, May 6, 2009.

1. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    My chickens was eaten red ant eggs. I guess they are called larva, this isn't going to hurt her is it. I have never seen this before.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    It won't hurt her at all. [​IMG] from SE MO.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I hear that ants taste lemony. So the only problem with chickens eating them is the fresh citrusy breath.
    Perfectly fine.

Imp

4. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I'm glad to know that I won't go outside tomorrow moring and find my girls dead from eating the fire ants. I can sleep better tonight.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Oh! It doesn't end there. Next you'll be collecting the ants, so you can hand feed them to your chickens. Then runs to the pet store to buy crickets & mealworms. [​IMG]
    Imp

6. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    please dont worry bout your chickies! they will slurp up and eat any bug or worm they see. its good for them, lots of protein!
    thats FREE RANGIN;)

7. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Always wanted to try chocolate covered ants myself... But not grasshoppers though.. Too crunchy.

8. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i saw a ton by my duck pen today, do you think the ducks would eat em?

9. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I wish mine would eat ants and their eggs. WE have more than the wasps cana eat. Everywhere we look there are ants. They have almost killed all my house plants and where working on the gardens.

Can I borow them. I have enough ants here to kep them full and busy for the summer.[​IMG]

10. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I picked up a piece of plywood left from some shade/shelter construction a couple days ago. It had laid in the chicken pasture quite awhile. There was a huge ant nest underneath, on the soil surface.

The chickens had an absolute feast for quite some time. Afterward, some of their crops were so full it looked like they would burst. LOL Lots of protein in that meal...and the feeder of laying pellets stayed close to full that day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by