I watched a fox grab my chicken today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Alexcamp, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Alexcamp

Alexcamp New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    I've just joined this forum because I need some answers. I am new to having chickens and they have been free ranging in the gardens while the run is being built. Today a I witnessed a fox grab my georgeous Orphington, I ran after him screaming and it dropped her, neck broken. While six of us were running around the property tring to find the other hens, the fox came back and grabbed her. We have located four other hens but three are still missing. It is after dark and they usually would return by now but have not. There is no other evidence of the other hens being killed but I cannot find them. The four I did find were up in trees. I realize they are scared if they are still alive, but what should I do to find them and what should I do for the girls in the house to help them. I can't sleep.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    First off [​IMG] from Missouri and [​IMG]..but sorry we have to meet this way [​IMG]
    How old are your chickens?
    You will find that predators are going to be your number 1 trouble...and now that the fox KNOWS that you have chickens, it will be back on a daily and/or nightly basis..
    Because of where i live, i never leave mine unprotected or unwatched (if i have them out of their "safe zone")
    Until you have their home built, I would bring them inside at night and let them out when you are able to watch them closely.
    As far as the others...not all predators leave signs that they have taken your chickens....or they might be hiding in the trees or under a shelter.....If this is so, they will come back when they feel safe....
    When you get up in the morning, put out their favorite treat and see if they come back, and check the trees and under any shelters, decks, etc.

For the ones you did find, just give them some TLC and perhaps one of your old shirts to cuddle up next to...and a yummy treat [​IMG]

Once you have your coop and run built, make sure it is predator proof and well secure if you are going to leave them there.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    The fact that the ones you found had flown up into trees I think is a good sign that maybe the others are hiding out. I hope they come back tomorrow. A fox came 2 days in a row a few days back, and my girls are still nervous.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to say but the missing birds are gone to the fox. Maybe you should think about a yard perimeter of electric fence. I know you're finishing your run but the electric will let you free range in the evenings, will keep predators away from the coop and run and give you some peace of mind. They are easy to set up, inexpensive, and very effective if set up properly. Besides a few bottle brush tailed coons make great stories [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry for your loss. I almost lost my red cochin today to a small inexperienced fox...the fox ended up getting punted like a football by me and chased off by my roo.

Look for your girls in the morning, they are hiding I am sure. Call them and bring treats and I am sure they will come back. Give them time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by