I watched it happen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimboolah, Aug 6, 2009.

1. kimboolah

kimboolah Songster

I got off work this morning at 0630 and home by 0715 and went right to the coop to let the girls out in the run......all out came out in the run, and then one (one wihtout the biggest brightest comb and wattles) was just kind of haning around. Then she sat down for about 5 minutes and then she stood way up tall and took aobut two steps and just stood there. I figured something was aobut to happen so I picked her up and put her in the nest box and showed her the golf balls. She immediately sat down on them and then went to the other corner of the nest, stuck her head in the corner and i could barely hear her making some teensy grunting sounds, and them BLOOP! an egg!

I showed it to all those lazy birds in the run on the way out of the run--showed em what a "REAL CHICKEN" does. Taunted them and they just bokked back at me. Lazy girls.

Thrilling morning tho! BLOOP!

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] thats so great [​IMG]

3. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the egg!!! [​IMG]

Shelly

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sangel4you

sangel4you Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    yay!!! Good for you!!! [​IMG]
    I'm waiting for my first...any day now ya bums! :)

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I love watching my chickens lay eggs. If I go out to check for eggs and someone's on the nest, I'll wait for her to finish.

ETA: That's how I know who lays what eggs.....cuz I'm a chicken nerd.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  7. Casey3043

Casey3043 Songster

How great that you managed to show her where to lay it just in time for the great event!

Imagine giving birth without knowing it was coming! (Sort of like those "I didn't know I was pregnant" shows). [​IMG]

CASEY

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I really hope it's not like giving birth everyday. I wouldn't wish that on my chickens. Twice in a lifetime is enough for me.

9. AmyRey

AmyRey Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    You do realize that at this very moment your other chickens are talking behind this one's back because she's "mom's favorite" now, don't you? [​IMG]

10. Casey3043

Casey3043 Songster

I really hope it's not like giving birth everyday. I wouldn't wish that on my chickens. Twice in a lifetime is enough for me.

Well, the way they squawk before, during and afterward, sometimes I wonder whether it hurts to lay an egg.

[​IMG]

CASEY​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: