I week old chick with problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyD, Jul 27, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I have a one week old brahma chick that seemed to be doing okay other than being a little spraddle legged. I treated the spraddle legs and put her in with a buddy and she did okay from hatching until now. I went to check on her today and she is flipped upside down shaking and twitching. I am not sure what to do. She seems to be breathing okay but can't walk or move at all. She just flips her head backwards and lays on her back with her legs stretched out and tense.

Any ideas what it might be.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    LilyD - I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I am wondering how your chick is doing. I'm hoping she is feeling better?

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    No she isn't unfortunately I think she's on the way out. She keeps flailing around like she has no body control. Right now she is just laying on her back with her eyes closed but still twitching and shaking. I am not sure what to do for her. She isn't eating but was today this morning. The other chick that was int he brooder with her is still fine eating and drinking and pooping normally. The others that hatched with her are much larger than her and already have wing feathers started and she really doesn't. They are all very healthy. We had one other casualty but it was right after being moved from the incubator, everyone else is thriving and healthy.

I just wish there was something I could do for her. I put a soft towel in with her since she seems to be thrashing around I figured it would keep her from injuring herself more, but other than that there is really nothing I can do.

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    So sorry you are having problems with your chick.

If they stay on their back it can sometimes kill them. Can you place her on stomach and bunch the towel up around her to keep her from flailing.

Hope she pulls thru.

5. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I wrapped her in the towel sitting upright on her stomach surrounded by stuffed animals to that she can't really flail anywhere. In that position she is flipping her head backwards over her back. She has one eye totally closed and the other open but she will not eat or drink anything.

Not sure what else to do. Any idea what might be causing it?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    When they tip their head back and stiffen up it usually means they are in last process of dying. Some go easy and others will fight it.

It could be something wrong in the brain and nervous system. Hope she makes it.

If not you did everything possible that you could for her.

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    She might have wry neck. Polyvisol baby vitamins without iron and vitamin e may help her if it is not too late.

8. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Not sure if that's what she has but at this point I am willing to try anything. It's almost 6am here and she's still hanging on. She's not eating or drinking on her own. I have been giving her water 4 or 5 times a day since it started at about 4pm yesterday. She can sit straight without having her head back but it is like she starts to flail around with her feet and pushes herself backwards. She is not opening her right eye at all but will open her left on occasion. It reminds me of a person having a stroke it's like she has no control over her body at all.

I will go out at 8 and get her the polyvisol to try that thanks for the input.

9. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Still no change. I checked on her and fed her more watered food and vitamins and she had pooped in her towel but she is doing no better. Now both her eyes are closed like she can't open them and she has no body control.

10. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    We lost her today even with everything that we were doing she stopped drinking even with help. It was like she couldn't swallow and then she passed just a few minutes ago. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by