I went looking for chicks and came home with a pig! Now with PICS!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, Mar 14, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Songster

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    A guinea pig that is. I was down visiting my mom yesterday and my niece was headed to Iowa city to look for some boots for her son at Thiesens. Mom and I went along I was hoping they would have some chicks in, but all they had where broilers, I want layers. So I got my dog a Vikings collar and some treats and we left. My niece also needed some fish supplies and so we went to Petland, They had 6 guinea pigs there, one was a little spastic almost all white one, that you could tell had been picked on, and was very skittish. My mom ended up buying her for me as I had bought her groceries and she had no cash to repay me ( I really didn't want her to repay me but sometimes moms don't listen very well) So I let her buy me the $25 guinea pig. We had one at home, we had two and the female died, we had tried replacing with a male but he would have none of it and kept fighting. So last night I brought home a little 3 month old piggy, put them in seperate sides of the cage so they could talk and see each other and then today about 15 mintues ago I let them together. I tell you what my husband was not real happy with me but they are so happy to have each other. Our Piggy (I know real original name) has been cleaning her and they have been chattering back and forth all morning. Pictures coming soon. Though I wish my connection was fast enough to offer live feed as they are so much fun to listen to and watch as they get to know each other.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I miss the whistling & chattering the guinea pigs have. I used to raise & show them years (& years) ago. Glad you got a friend for yours, but be careful with having them together. He will try to breed her...
    Do you know what type they are?
    Cant wait to see the pics!

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Songster

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    They are just americans, we did have the crested ones a couple years ago, but when our girl had her first litter of two babies, the babies where born dead and she was dead the next morning, at the time I couldn't imagine getting another so I found a new home for teddy our male. Then last year a lady traded us two "girls" for some chicks and they ended up both being boys, then last fall woke up one morning and Dash was dead. So Spaz who has been renamed Piggy has been alone and rather lonely since. We tried to add a male instead of a female but he didn't like that. She is only 3 months old and tiny now. How soon will he try to breed her? I don't want it to be before she is ready, but wouldn't mind a litter of piggys some time. The gestation is like 2-3 months right? I really need to just go and reread about them, one of those things you knew at one time, but then can't seem to remember when its time to remember it.

Anyway here are some pictures.
    Stella Diane is the little white one and Piggy is the big tricolored one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and just because I found a picture from january of Piggy, how on earth did he grow so fast in such a short amount of time! Now his head touches the shelf if he is under it and he doesn't even use the ramp to get up there he just stand on his hind legs and eats out of the bowl like that.
    [​IMG]

The cage
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: