I went out of my mind.... ordered 24 muscovy eggs!!! Please Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fancie, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I just bought 24 muscovy eggs off of ebay... I figured I might not be able to get 1 bird out of 6... but hopefully I can get one out of 24!!! [​IMG]

I will have muscovys by the end of the year if I have to superglue waddles to my pekin jj [​IMG]

2. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Are you familiar with hatching shipped eggs? Do you have a broody that can incubate these eggs for you? Not that you won't have good luck but Muscovy have got to be the most difficult egg to successfully incubate. There are those who report great results but by and large most people experience great fertility & growth & failure to pip & make it out of the shell alive. The longer an egg can be under a hen the higher the odds that they can make it out of the shell alive in an incubator. So, even if you start under a broody & move them to the incubator later (know peafowl people do this, too) it'll increase your chances of a good hatch.

Just in case you're not familiar, go ahead and let them sit out for about 24 hours before putting them in an incubator so they can settle.

If something happens & you don't get a hatch, leave your poor pekins alone and I could probably find someone nearby in IL that might have birds available...lol A good place to start is the map in my signature. [​IMG]

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I haven't found my Muscovies any harder to hatch out than my goose eggs but with shipped eggs it sure doesn't increase your odds. Plus who knows how old the eggs are and they do get addled during shipping.
    Expect 30-50% hatch rate.

I find the Muscovy Map difficult to use because you can't see the states under all those markers.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by