I went out to take pictures of the field...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Lothiriel, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    ...and could NOT resist the urge to take pictures of some of my girls too! I mean, animals are so much more interesting than a bunch of weeds. So without further ado, here are the few I got before the battery died.

Noisette is enjoying the cooler weather these past few days. Black feathers, no matter how gorgeous they be, are murder in 90* sunshine.
    [​IMG]

Penelope can hardly sit still because there is just so much to do! I got a good photo after several failed attempts.
    [​IMG]

Iris looks so photogenic, in my opinion. She's gorgeous.
    [​IMG]

And while searching for a "good," photoworthy weed, I found two teensy weensy just hatched Monarch caterpillars. We call them "Milky" caterpillars, because they live on milkweed.
    [​IMG]

And just so you can get an idea of how small they really were...
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy! [​IMG]

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Iris is beautiful~

3. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Such beautiful chickens! And the caterpillars! Our whole septic field is covered in milkweed. I need to go out and look for monarch caterpillars. They are the most amazing of all butterflies because of how God has completely baffled secular scientists with this special creature. I did a blog post on them years ago with my old blog. Check it out here. They are truly fascinating flying beauties!

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Very nice pics. Your birds are beautiful [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Gorgeous!

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] Much better than weeds, I'll say!

7. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:We love them. Every year we find a couple to "raise" -- we keep them on milkweed we pick until they turn into their chrysalis and then a butterfly. Last year for the first time we saw the butterflies hatch. It is so amazing! God is so creative with His creation.

8. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Thank you all for your comments. [​IMG] I love to take pics of my girls, but my mom says I take too many. In a sense it's true, but you have to take a lot to get the perfect one, right?

Haha, you're so right! Waaaay better than weeds!!

9. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We love them. Every year we find a couple to "raise" -- we keep them on milkweed we pick until they turn into their chrysalis and then a butterfly. Last year for the first time we saw the butterflies hatch. It is so amazing! God is so creative with His creation.

We always raise them too Heather! Also, my children's school does a huge monarch unit every fall. All the grades order monarch caterpillars every year and they raise and release them. You can not imagine how much milkweed we supply our school. I'm really glad to do it though because it's really a great experience, and truly it never gets old! The realization that a species can complete a metamorphosis and transform into a completely different species in a matter of weeks. God is simply amazing!!

~Kelly~
    My Country Chronicles Blog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by