I went to a livestock auction and all I got was this lil pig~~!!~~

Awww! I have always wanted a lil piggie!
love.gif
love.gif

29766_jennytoe.jpg

Here's our Jenny pig. She is a little over 2 yrs old, lives in our backyard, has her own pighouse with her name in it. Will come in the house, loves her treats and a good belly rub.

I've always wanted a little piggy. DH says when the number of the dogs go down. Keep us posted. I'd love to know what's entailed in keeping a pot bellied pig.

72713_petunia.jpg

We are getting acclimated to each other. Today we played a game of if you come to me I will give you a treat. Or I will rub your belly. She did really well. She likes a good treat and a belly rub. She tired her self out and is asleep at my side now. She slept with us last night and woke us up when she needed to go out. So far things are good. She is noisy when she doesn't like something. My hubby had her in his lap today for a parade with a tiny Santa hat on. She slept the whole time. I am working on what will happen when she gets bigger. I dont think our bed will fit her, us, and the three dogs. It is a king but that is pushing it.

I have a potbelly pig and know alot about them. She is a mix, due the long snout and will get about 200 lbs, but thats about the size of a med-large dog. Get her potbelly pellets and moisten them, she will eat messy but if you do not start young, they will never eat them. Get a sweater box, put a water bowl in it. Every time they drink, babies will pee. So you potty train them in swaeter boxes or kitty litter pans. Then take her out every couple hours, rewarding her with treats. Pigs are VERY FOOD DRIVEN!!! They tend to get frantic with food and foam at the mouth. They love to be sung to sleep.

Great places to get info are:
www.potbellypigs.com
www.pigs4ever.com

Also a chat room from Yahoo is PigandChatinfo. You will meet Pris, the lady with the trained pig featured on Animal Planet named Nelly. You will find friendly passionate pig lovers who will answer ANY question and be there during your pig adventure.

Its like having a child, she will need to have 3 meals and 2 snacks. Get her spayed young, if you wait it could kill her like it almost did my baby. Sleeping in the bed is not advised but we do it. Just understand you will need to adapt your bed to her. You will need to build a ramp as jumping is hard on thier legs, and THEY CAN JUMP HIGH!!! IF you start now, you will never stop her. Jing Cha knocked out her front teeth following the dogs jumping off the bed.

You are her pack, she will learn to manipulate you and you will love it. They bark, laugh, can talk like NO NO or MAMA. They can learn tricks easily and will mimic your dogs. Keep the harness thing going as it will be easier. If they go by car, they will poop. Keep them traveling and they adjust. Soon you can camp like we do with her.

Email me anytime or call:
Heather
[email protected]
352-307-4998

She is darling--congratulations on the cutie-pie!
love.gif
I work at a farm animal sanctuary, and the pot-bellies are so friendly! I'm sure you will be the best of friends.
big_smile.png

The auctions here are monitered by the Ag Dept. They check the birds for Avian Flu first and then go back through to check for other things.

The best thing to do it make friends with the vets. If I find birds I like I go ask what if anything they have found. Most test take a couple of weeks for results, but I get information on any that may look iffy.

So far I have some great birds from the suction a couple of blocks from my house. Lots of chickens (and other birds) out my way, so I've managed to meet some breeders and some just get rid of what they don't have room for by auctioning them off. Some go looking for stock and I've had some help with standards and faults from a couple people.

BTW I sit on my hands a lot. Sometimes I can get a little carried away, but lately I've been a good girl.

Petunia turned out to be around 4 weeks old. She was WAY too young for me to own and care for properly. I found someone who raises pigs, show and other wise. She and her family have extensive knowledge in this area Right away she was able to tell me about her and her needs. She will be now living with Lacey and her Family. I am sad but I know my limitations. I would never forgive myself if something were to happen. I consider my self a responsible pet owner. Even when it breaks my heart to see her go I know she will be cared for properly where I was unable.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom