I Went to an auction

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Florida chick, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    over the weekend and OMG! :eek:
    Here are a few that stuck in my head, all were nice birds owners had to sell, couldn't afford rising gas and feed prices.
    It was a sad sad thing.
    All were adults
    Muscovies $1
    Layers $1.20
    Jap Bantams $1.55 for a QUAD

Juveniles of banatams, Mille Fleurs, and layer purbreds all went for .25 CENTS each!

I was just SICK! I felt so badly everyone lost their shirt! NO one was buying... NO one wanted birds back they all sold no reserve. I don't "buy" any outside birds for our farm... OH man this time was tempting though.

2. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    where was this auction at???

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Wow those prices are terrible. For the seller I mean. I'd have thought with gas prices and the cost of everything going up people would want a few backyard chickens for eggs.

I have to confess though, since I already have birds the thought of keeping them seperated for 30 days turns me off no matter what the price.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Wow, that must have been hard to swallow by the owners. But, if I had been there those muscovies would have been tempting [​IMG]

5. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    The wife and I go every Friday night to the local chicken auction.
    No prices like those you spoke of. It's all pretty much fair pricing where we go.
    And lots of nice bantams too.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    That's what happens in the fall most years. Those same birds at a sale in march might bring $25 each.

7. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    I am in FL and normally prices are fair around here! Heck I got $22 and $26 for Scovies. THis auction is a new place and thank GOODNESS I didn't bring my birds. I was debating buying all and reselling... BUt I seriously downsized because of feed and the idea of quarenteening makes me crazy,so I let them pass me by. Cocketiels were $5 with a cage! It was in Live Oak,FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by