I went to pick up horses

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RyRy2, May 20, 2011.

1. RyRy2

RyRy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Canastota, NY
    So I have this friend in PA and she was downsizing and said she would give me two of her horses, so I found a friend to drive me and we drove the 5 hours from upstate NY to get the horses.. Well Judy was showing us around and talking about downsizing everything and didn't I want a chicken or two (she only had a mixed flock of about a hundred or so). No, I did not want any chickens.. Then it happened.. I saw the prettiest little white chicken.. but no, I didn't want chickens, my husband would kill me. they kept working at me and reminding me how much I liked fresh eggs and the next thing I knew I was calling Chris, "hi honey, would you mind if I brought home a chicken or two??" he laughs and says sure (he says he thought I was kidding, but he said yes). so then the chicken hunt began and I was informed that I couldn't take just one, I had to take 2-3.. ok. fine.. well these aprox 6 week old chicks wanted nothing to do with being caught and since she free ranges they could go wherever they wanted.. so while I'm weak, she takes me into the coop and says why don't we pick out a few of these chicks (3 days old and you know how cute they were) oh and by the way, you have to take 6 minimum.. ok, ok. I'll take them, but if I'm going to get them I want some of those funny looking naked necks.. so I picked out 6 adorable chicks, 1 black, 1 white, 1 chipmunk, 1 yellow, and two black NN's. well while this was going on the friends that drove me down from NY were still outside and low and behold they caught the white chicken I wanted originally. I'm still not sure how I ended up with the white one, a red, a black, and another NN, but somehow I did (from what I understand from this forum, it had something to do with chicken math, lol) well Judy assured me that she thought the 6 week olds all looked like hens to her and who knew with the babies they were just too little.. time goes by and I find that of my 4 older chicks - 1 is a hen, that's right, 1.. of my little babies 3 are hens.. so now I have 4 hens and 6 roosters, we took out 2 of the roosters that had started fighting and that very night the others took out what had been the dominant rooster on their own.. so now I was down to 4 hens, 2 NN roosters and 1 ginormous godzilla rooster. this wasn't enough eggs, couldn't we order some pullets (again I blame chicken math). so I split the order with a neighbor and after processing the godzilla rooster (he was way to rough with my hens, ambushing them, dragging them around by their heads, etc..) I am the proud owner of the following 4 mutt hens (1 black, lays the prettiest little green eggs, 1 mottled, 1 black w/red and 1 little NN), 2 NN roosters, and my hatchery batch all turned 10 weeks old today- 3 ameracauna pullets, 3 BR's, 1 SLW, 1 buff Cochin, 1 Red Starr, 1 Mille Fleur, 1 GL Polish, and my free exotic a Red Frizzle Cochin ( I think he is a roo, but not sure) and my mottled hen went broody and hatched out 4 lovely chicks 2 weeks ago.. I laugh because all I wanted was to pick up 2 horses and somehow I ended up with 22 chickens, am working on expanding my coop and already trying to figure out how to justify a few more Polish and Banties... LOL.. I enjoy them more than I ever would have guessed, they are my gold fish, watching their antics just relaxes me..

this board is great by the way I've been lurking for a while [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Sounds like you have chicken math 101 mastered already. [​IMG]

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] somehow we all get the bug

enjoy [​IMG]

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Yup,it sneaks up on you. Welcome to BYC!!!! [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Yep, you definately know chicken math [​IMG] Congrats on your flock & good luck with them [​IMG]

6. MoriahQuilts

MoriahQuilts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    Welcome!

7. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] A+ in chicken math!

8. chikibabe

chikibabe Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I went to the market to buy 3 egg laying chickens. Came home with 4 baby roosters and two turkeys. I havnt perfected my chicken math yet, counting isnt my thing, i allways on purpose, loose count. But to even out the mathamatical equasion, i think you just simply add 2 + 3 +4 +2 +3 and eventually you'll equal out to balanced happyness. I have horses as well, i find chickens and horses work well together as the chickens help to spread the manure and are quite happy to clean up any left over grains that the horses may drop. Hi and welcome to you.

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

This is so funny. Welcome to BYC, obviously you will fit in very well. Glad you decided to join us.

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ok, so now you have to go back and get some hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by