I went to the Grange Fair!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MidnightChickenLover, Sep 1, 2009.

1. MidnightChickenLover

MidnightChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    I went to the Center County Grange Fair (PA) Sunday. There were a few poultry. I heard they are going to expand the poultry area.. which will be nice. I saw gorgeous Silver Spangled Hamburgs. They were the only roosters that actually looked calm and sweet. Buttercup Call Ducks were also extremely cute. Huge Pekins, Welsummer Cock, Rhode Islands, Some other type of Ducks, Japanese Cock, Sex-Link hen (She was a pretty light brown, Ameraucanas (One Huge, but colorful, rooster), Polish, Leghorns, and Silkies were other birds I saw. There was a Silkie Rooster that if I didn't know silkies were only bantams I would have mistaken him for a standard size chicken. He made my roosters look like pip-sqeaks!
    Anyone else been to this fair?
    Anyone been to another fair?
    If so, tell me (us) about it..

2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Our county fair used to have lots of poultry in it. But in the last 10 years our fair is just a joke now. The only reason we went is because my kids are still small and are to small to realize that the fair was awful. Now if it wasnt for the 4-H there would hardly be any poultry there at all. And even the 4-H entries are getting even smaller in numbers.

But when I was there. All I could think about was. If I took that egg. I wonder if it would hatch. And if it would be pure. Wondering if they were housed with a rooster.. LOL Sad huh.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. MidnightChickenLover

MidnightChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Luckly that fairs around myself and bordering states have been populated well. The meat markets are growing more because there are more money. The fairs have rides and food and great products. I have a reserved tent there and a reserved camper space in the Huntingdon Fair. In the huntingdon fair the place gets over crowded with cars.. there isn't enough parking for everyone. They also have a hatching incubator were you can whatch chicks hatch and little baby ducks swim, but that is it for poultry at the Huntingdon Fair, sadly. I'm glad that the Grange actually allows poultry exibits.
    I'm sorry your fair(s) didn't turn out so well.
    The animals at our fairs are mainly from FFA and 4-H. But there is alot of them..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by