I Will Never Raise Goslings For Anyone Again

Discussion in 'Geese' started by pinkyglory123, Jul 17, 2011.

1. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    [​IMG] Since I have the facility, love doing it, was placing an order of my own- I raised three duckings and two goslings for a friend. Four geese-now three months old are staying with me. The ducks will be fine since they will be living on a pond and are quite self sufficient. The geese however are so much more "human?" that it is going to be really difficult to part with two. Very difficult. I am giving her the two apparent males who also happen to be the more stand off ish. I am keeping the four who form my second (deafening) shadow. Nope-won't be raising geese for others any more.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It's very easy to get attached emotionally to geese. They really have personalities and they are each individuals.

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I feel for you...they really are wonderful creatures - and are very smart. I'm very attached to mine and don't have the foggiest idea about how I'm going to thin down my flock of 24 this Fall - I just dread it! They form very strong attachements to each other and their people and places. That is why I will not send just one off by itself. I really think they do better in pairs or trios...so look on the bright side...at least you are sending the two off together.

I wish there was something more I could say...are you sure your friend still wants them?

Joni

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I totally understand your feelings - geese are so special. Well, I sure hope you get visitation rights! [​IMG]

Last year I got my goose, Keld, when he was only 8 days old from a guy who raises about 50-60 geese each year. He almost wouldn't let go of the little gosling back then - he didn't know me at all, and he was really worried about the fact that I intended to have only one goose. He had never heard of indoor geese before.

We kept in contact, and last night Keld and I went to visit him, his wife, and all the geese. He is really happy to be able to see Keld once in a while, and to know that Keld is happy and thriving. And Keld actually likes him back - he started following him around yesterday like he follows me.

5. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Awww...what a nice story Goose Girl! [​IMG]

and PinkyGlory I am sorry your heart is breaking! [​IMG] Good luck.... remember, they will be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by