I will never try to help a cooper hawk again!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkieluver_07, Oct 27, 2008.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    As I get home from school, my brother says that theres a cooper hawk in the silkie pen. (?!?!?!?!) I rush down to see how many of my babies are slaughtered.

The hawk was perched on top of a little dog house we have in the run, and there were no bodies laying around. It was just looking at me curiously. I have a brilliant idea. (very stupid actually) to take off my hoodie and wrap the hawk in it and set it free.

The first part of the plan went well. The second part not so well. As I put my hoodie towards my body, the hawk's claws went through my sweatshirt and gripped into my stomach. I tried releasing the claws but they didn't budge. My brother was trying to keep me calm because everytime I moved, the claws would dig deeper.

The hawk's head poked out of the sweatshirt, and I "dropped" him. This caused the hawk to let go of me and fly away. I will never make the stupid mistake again of trying to help a cooper hawk.

I cleaned my wound with alcohol and it seems to be doing okay. My mom is going to check it out when she gets home.

2. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    those are punctures have you had a tetanus shot?

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    oh and don't feel too bad it sounds like something I would do

4. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    wow [​IMG] that is crazy i would stay away from them!

5. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, I recently had my tetnus shot so that's good. It still stings, but at least the claws went through hoodie, a tanktop, and a polo. The punctures aren't really deep because the claws just broke the skin.

6. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    OMG! Ouch!!!

I wonder if he flew off and found some of his hawk friends to tell them about this strange animal that tried to hawk-nap him?

And do you think they believed him?

7. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Yikes Hannah! Thank goodness you got out of that with only minor injuries. It could have been much worse.

I probably would have done the same type of thing though.

8. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I highly doubt they will believe him. But I bet they will ask, "Why didn't you bring us some takeout?"

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Hawks are not snuggle bunnies...best to hold them at arms' length. Just keep a watch on the wounds for any signs of red streaks. Keep it clean and keep antibiotic ointment on it.

10. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I have no clue what I would have done if he would have killed my babies. By his looks, he appeared to be a young hawk, so he might not have known what to do? Or maybe the silkies didn't look like chickens to him. He probably was like, "WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by