I will NOT candle my eggs....I will NOT candle my eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicmom, Nov 18, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Well, this will be my fourth time hatching eggs. And I am not going to open the incy and candle them....I WILL NOT DO IT!!!!

This incubator has an electronic thermostat, and even electronically controlled humidity. It also turns the eggs. All I have to do is add water to the little reservoir, which is located on the side, so I don't even need to open it.

A good friend of mine let me borrow it.....

SO IT'S SET IT AND FORGET IT!!!!!

I am wondering if maybe my obsessive compulsive candling had affected my last few hatches, because I only got two or three chicks.......

SO NO TOUCHY THE INCY! NO TOUCHY! NO OPENING IT......NO NO NO! [​IMG]

WISH ME LUCK.........[​IMG]

2. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Don't make eye contact with that thing! It will put you under its spell and force you to open it! Walk away slowly! Never ever look at it directly!

3. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Your stronger then me. Good Luck with the hatch! [​IMG] I just realized my Buckeye eggs are in lockdown today. I just candled and had to remove only one egg!

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:You are right....that thing is in my bedroom, and it tries to talk to me in my dreams when I'm sleeping........[​IMG]

5. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Well, that's great news! How funny you mentioned Buckeyes. I just bought a beautiful trio of Buckeyes at the Ohio National Poultry Show in Columbus....I hope to incubate some of their eggs next spring.....

Good luck with your hatch too!

Sharon

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Like no candling, AT ALL? Wow. That is some self control.

What kind of incubator is it?

I'm trying to ground myself from candling for a while. I'm on day 15. I haven't candled since day 12. I'm trying to hold out til day 18.

7. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    I admit..I candled a lot [​IMG] I'm glad you're resisting though...good luck and I hope you get a wonderful hatch;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I candle mine all the time. As long as the temperature doesn't vary more than a degree or two - it shouldn't make a difference. A broody hen is off the nest for awhile at least once a day. The bator is only open for a few seconds each time I remove or replace eggs. I like seeing the development. I will be interested to see if not candling makes a positive difference on your hatch rate. Good luck! [​IMG] I don't think I would have the self-control to not candle. [​IMG]

9. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Quote:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Carol! You're no help at all! LOL I think you're a candling enabler......[​IMG]

So far, I don't have the urge to candle. Not at all......

Oh, the incubator is a R-Com Pro.....and it's very cool. I would never be able to afford it. Well, maybe one day.....It even plays a little song when the eggs are turning.....On lockdown, which is Dec 3, I will just press the buttons to increase the humidity. It's amazing!
    I'm so lucky my friend shares it with me.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by