I will probably need a gosling for my poor mom goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Jennifer Cappi Williams, Jul 11, 2019 at 7:01 PM.

1. My goose Puddles started out with a large clutch of eggs and my male I think accidently stepped on almost all of them. There were 15 and I discovered they were down to 5 I put him in a different night pen next to hers. She has been at it since June 7th. When do you think they would be due if they are still alive? I know they WERE viable cause one he stepped on had a dead premature baby in it. We were down to 3 yesterday... :(This morning there was a busted egg and a dead baby. I am pretty sure it was a late quiter. My poor Puds was distraught though. I removed it fast but she was shaking and whimpering. It probably exploded. That would mean I think we are down to 2 eggs. I am scared we won't have a baby. I am DESPERATELY looking for a baby duck or goose to stick under her right now. If I order two from Metzer farm, I am scared of (for one thing) shipping babies PERIOD, and two...what if she does not stay broody by time they come? Is there anyone within a days drive of Coastal Georgia that has newborn ducks or geese for sale?

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    She'll get over it fairly quickly. There is a good chance the last eggs aren't going to hatch. She'll likely set on the empty nest for a while then go back to her normal routine. Next year she'll try again. Is this their first time?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. She is an old goose. I got her in 2010. For most of that time she had a mate that was a FEMALE Emden but when Silly died in 2016 I got a baby Brown Chinese gosling that ended up being a male. She tried to go broody last year but I didn't have enough calcium in her feed and she became much too weak and and I had to stop her so I could give her daily calcium injections and she lived in my bathroom for 2 weeks because she was so weak. This year I actually spent $250 on hormone inplant to PREVENT her from laying eggs but she did anyway. So this was really her first time to really try to sit on viable eggs. I should have put some in the incubator when she started sitting but I was at that time thinking she was going to be the proud mom of 15 babies so why would I want to add to that? Now I am as heartbroken as she it... There looks to be one egg left. I doubt it has a baby in it. A live baby that is....

4. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Crowing

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    So sorry you and Puddles are going through this. You could candle the egg and see if there's anything alive inside. If so, put it in the incubator and put some fake eggs under her in the meantime.

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Oh wow, she has had a rough time. I think I would find her a gosling or two primarily because I feel so bad for her. She'll likely take them regardless if she is still setting or not. And next year when she starts laying I'd get her a couple goslings. Maybe that'll stop her laying and she won't want to set.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: