I will soon have a lone gosling, will it flock with ducks?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by theredroosta, Jun 5, 2011.

1. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    I have an african goose egg hatching right now and its my only one. I have 7 ducks and I was wondering if he/she will flock with them when he/she gets older.

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    The simple answer is probably. How old are the ducks? Can you get another gosling?

3. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Quote:The ducks are all adults and I might be able to, but not for a while.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I'm sure it will when it gets older. I have 2 ducks and 2 geese that are friends but they are the same age.

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    In 6 weeks, that gosling is going to be bigger than the ducks. You might try housing the gosling next to the ducks once it is out of the brooder. Mine went outside at about 3.5 weeks. The older ducks had an opportunity to come over and inspect the newcomers but not hurt them. If you can get another gosling, that would be best, and then slowly introduce them to the ducks.

6. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

I ended up buying the last gosling in the store because I couldn't stand the fact he would be all alone, I bought him a duck to keep him company and they are best buddies but they are the same age. (They won't go anywhere without each other its so cute). Not that this really helps your situation, but I'd try the suggestion of putting it near the ducks and see if maybe it can make a friend. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by