I wish i could have chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by zrossk, Dec 18, 2011.

1. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    I can't have chickens because in Reading PA it is illegal [​IMG] i would do almost anything to have them but even if they were legal my parents wouldn't let me get them.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Move to Ford City, PA [​IMG]

3. zrossk

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    lol i wish i could my parents dont wanna move.

4. zrossk

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    im so jealous of the people with like 50 chickens lol

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    sorry you can't have any.
    maybe you could be a caretaker of chickens for someone on vacation.not sure how far you would have to travel tho.

6. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you could go to the City Council with a proposal to change the ordinance!!!!

Go to the Topic in the forum:

Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change them)

Anything is possible!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck to you!!!

7. zrossk

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    yea my parents dont want me to do that though lol.

8. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Too bad... You could learn alot!! more than taking a class in Civics...

I hope you have friends that have some, so you can go see theirs.

9. zrossk

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    i wish i had friends that had them [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Didn't you just do a thread about this very same thing a few days ago? I know you are disappointed, but perhaps it is time to quit whining about it and figure out a plan.

Clearly you are a minor. It stinks, but until you are out on your own you have to live with the rules that your parents set. When I was in junior high I saw a ferret and fell in love. I desperately wanted a ferret. Did my parents let me have one? Nope. My mother said they were smelly little rats and there was no way. I had to wait 10 years until I was out of college and on my own before I could have one. Did it kill me to wait? No. It gave me time to do some research and get prepared. It also gave me time to mature and to be really sure that a ferret was the pet for me. Ferrets take a lot of care and are expensive. I wasn't ready at 13 and my parents knew it.

I hate to tell you this, but even as an adult you don't always get everything that you want. Whining doesn't help. Sometimes you live in areas where chickens are illegal. Sometimes your life situation changes and you can't keep the chickens you have. Sometimes your health fails and you have to downsize your flock. Sometimes you have to get rid of them altogether. It isn't fair and it stinks. Sadly, life isn't fair and we don't always get to do what we want to do.

All you get to do is control your own attitude. I can't have goats and sheep right now and I desperately want to. Unfortunately my life situation at the moment will not allow it. In the meantime, I get to do research about breeds and care and upkeep. I get to study different types of wools to see which ones I like best. I am taking classes on how to spin wool and weave. I have a friend who is going to let me come out and practice milking and hoof trimming on her goats. I am talking to all of the goat breeders I can find to figure out which breed will work best for me. While it is sad that I cannot have them right now, when the time comes I will be prepared. This part of the journey is very exciting too, even though I don't have goats or sheep.

So, you can't get chickens and you are bummed. We get that. I'm sure your parents get that to. Your city does not allow them. The odds that your parents will pack up the house, try to sell it in a rotten economy and move the family all so that you can have chickens is all pretty unlikely. Even if you lived in a location that allowed them, it is entirely possible that they would still say no. Have you ever had a pet before? If so, did you always take care of that pet with no parental prompting? Probably your parents see chickens as one more thing they would have to deal with. Whining about it will not help.

Make a plan.
    - Go see what the city ordinance says. Talk to your city council about why poultry are banned. Don't take our word for it. Go see what the exact statement is and then figure out how to change it. Poll the neighbors around you to see their feelings on backyard poultry. (And you will need to poll more than just next door. Talk to at least 100 people in a circle around you. I can hear my neighbors chickens from half a mile away. I'm sure they can all hear mine too.)
    - Do your research. What breeds would you prefer and why? What is the benefit to your family? Why should your parents want to add chickens to the family unit?
    - How much will it cost both in start up costs and monthly maintenance costs? Where will this money come from?
    - How much time will it take to care for the chickens? When will you do this? What happens to the chickens when you are gone?
    - What is your long term plan for the chickens? Chickens can live 8-9 years with care. What happens to them when you graduate from high school and move out? You can't take them to college, or into the military. Odds are that if you just go to work after high school that you won't make enough to live somewhere where you can have chickens. You will likely live in an apartment with roommates. What will you do with your chickens then?

Your parents and other adults will take you a lot more seriously if you come to them armed with information and if you will talk to them calmly and rationally. Just whining that you want chickens and that it isn't fair only makes you sound like a two year old. Adults pretty much shut down when they hear whining.

Getting chickens will take a lot of work on your part. They are great fun, but they take time and money and effort. Make sure that you are ready and then work towards it. Moping around won't get you chickens. Some effort might. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by