I wish I had miss_jayne's shovel....RACCOON!*UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Attack Chicken, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    This evening when it was still quite bright out my mother and I were sitting out back watching momma Pepper and her chicks along with the other chickens. Kernal and his hen were along side of the privacy fence to my neighbors yard. All of a sudden my mom yells out....RACCOON!!!!! It was sitting on top of the fence right above Kernal and he didn't even know! My mom beat me to it with a stick [​IMG] but I was right behind her with a steel rake (the hard prong type). We scared it off and it ran under my neighbors shed.
    After this was all over I was thinking... If my mother would of had miss_jayne's varmint shovel she could of smack that thing clear across our neighbors yard [​IMG]

It was a youngster but still. It looked at MY chickens WRONG and to be out in daylight?! Tonight I have a livetrap set with marshmellows.

You peaked over the wrong fence buster! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I did catch something in the trap today, but it was a silly squirrel eating marshmellows.. LOL I will set it again tonight.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am so glad Kernal is safe!!

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! i am so proud! wielding garden tools is NOT for the meek! good job AC! [​IMG]

i am positive that had you two had a coal shovel, that little varmint would of been a goner! [​IMG]

phew! Kernal is safe! my lovey! [​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Another squirrel in the trap today lol...

6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I was running back out to the car to get my camera the other night and there was a mid-sized coon rambling across the yard. It was funny now that I think of it, we both stopped with leg mid-air. Crazy Lucy looked at me like, "WHAT is that varmit, ma? It sure ain't no cat!" And, the fight was on. He went under the car, the dogs went after the coon, hubby left in my car, it migrated to the truck, which is high off the ground . . .we don't know where it went, but I hope it was spooked enough to keep on traveling. Had them in my attic two years running, and with chickens next year, I sure don't need them back!!!! they aren't only mean, they are sooooooooooo distructive!!!

7. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I came home from school today and seen that the trap was shut. I was thinking Oh another squirrel wondered into the trap because I did not bait it the night before. It wasn't a squirrel it was this peeved off guy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My bantam wyandotte Bubba checking him out and clucking up a storm.

[​IMG]

8. musson

musson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    I myself recently dispatched just such a creature with a small shovel. Unfortunately it was after he killed my GLW pullet.

I was a small possum and he somehow got through the 2x4 welded wire fencing we have. We now have some additional electric wires on the fencing.

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    possums are ding dongs. no bait and he's still in there. [​IMG]

10. tomdeggeater

tomdeggeater Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Rocky Hill, CT.
    I hope you dispatched it and put it in the stewpot. No sense wasting good vittles... 'Good for the goose, good for the gander'
    Tom [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by