I wish I had taken a picture...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arrowti, Dec 17, 2016.

1. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    So our ducks are very routine. They leave their house in the morning, drink some extra water (or fresh water if their water froze during the night), then waddle off and lay down next to the fallen log in the woods near their house. They then nap for 5-6 hours (they're more active in summer, in the cold weather they just sleep).

Today I went out to look for them and it was snowing. I couldn't see them ANYWHERE. So I panicked, and was calling them and went to check the woods. Still saw nothing. Then as I stepped on a branch a black head shot up under the snow and started quacking at me. Slowly, all 5 ducks stood up from beneath the snow pile they were under, shook themselves, and waddled over to see if I had brought them any treats!

Not even snow will break their routine!

2 people like this.
  2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Wow that is funny.
    I can imagine all the worries going through your head
    Untill you saw a head pop up.
    It is kind of funny thinking of all the ducks juts appearing out of the snow :D
    Goodluck
    Fionn.

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    You know how many time I've been like '' Darn!! Wheres my camera???'' ?
    Ducks can be so goofy [​IMG]

4. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    It is so scary when stuff like that happens, i'm always thinking, "They can't be dead."

5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Once my ducks freaked me out by all taking a nap under the coop...I couldn't find them!! I ran around looking for a hole in the fence... and then they all came out like "oh hiiii....bring food?"

6. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Something very similar happened to me. Our mallard hen went out flying and after a little while I realized she never landed, so I looked every where and I never found her. After awhile I though she left and there is nothing I can do, but pray that she comes back, so I started praying right when I got to the barn again and out she came from under the barn, I literally fell down and thanked God right there.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by