i wish this wasn't happening

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Chickenrandomness, May 31, 2010.

1. its almost solid as a rock, moving back to suburban life, i'm moving back to the same house as i was when i first got a BYC account. MEDINA MN! they don't allow "Poultry" unless you have 2 acres of land, well i have a third of an acre, today i'm going to ask for a Zoning Variance, like i read in my Raising Chickens For Dummies my parents said it would be ok, i could get 2 pullets! but not as chicks [​IMG] i'll just have to go pick up the 2 from strombergs. i wish i didn't move! i'm acktually in Medina MN right now. any suggestions on which cold hardy breeds i should get?

**Edited for language**

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  2. but even if i don't get approved to get chickens, i got my school, and you fellas to back me up and pation them, my school really supports me with chickens (this is a different school then the one in ND)

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Best of luck on getting a variance. [​IMG]

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    The only thing that I can say for cold hardiness... I have had many varieties over the years and the only problems that I have had were with larger comb types getting frostbite on the combs. So stick with smaller comb types, or types with pea combs. The ones that got frozen were roosters (Buff Orp and Barred Rock) and Leghorns, hens and roos. Sorry about the move and how did I miss another Dak here?!?

5. i'm pretty sue my neighboor to the left of my house would be fine with me getting chickens. they have like, 4 dogs, and 2 hens would be much quieter

6. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I can't figure out why people can have giant evil looking, car chasing dogs, but in some areas, no chickens! [​IMG] Oh, well, I'm not really one to talk, I have 3 Great Pyranese.... Sometimes ADULTS don't want to get out of thier cars! We will go out there, and they will point and go, "are they safe??"
    [​IMG] Anyway, I hope it all works for ya!

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
  8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    My 2 tops would be:

Buckeyes
    Chantercler (sp?)

Both hardy and bred for cold weather.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    It drives me crazy how fearful some places are of chickens. Now, don't get me wrong, I love all animals, but if I had to choose between a neighbor with two dogs and a neighbor with two chickens, I'd pick the chickens every time.

I hope you get your variance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by