I wish we had a mentor...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by equusvilla, Dec 20, 2010.

1. equusvilla

equusvilla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    South Texas
    .. someone who at least lived in our state who could teach us the ins and out of showing chickens.. breeding for a better bird and help us to NOT waste money. Am I wishing for the impossible?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hey hey, your mentor is the APA SOP. [​IMG]

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    PM or email Melissa her Screen name is Nonesuchfarm on here she breeds some nice birds and is in Texas. What breed specifically are you asking about? Illa is right though you need to get the standard and commit the standard for you breed or breeds of interest to memory!

Henry

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    There are more mentors on this site than you can shake a stick at! All you have to do is read through the appropriate forums & ask your questions.
    (I'm not one of them, but I have learned a LOT from reading as much as possible on here)

5. equusvilla

equusvilla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    South Texas
    Last year we bought 6 feed store BR's just to see if we liked having chickens - over the fact that they lay great eggs! We built a nice large coop that could easily house over 20 birds.

Now - we are interested in raising and even showing - does not have to be BR - in fact I would love to work with a breed that is more unique...
    if we stayed with BR - maybe silver penciled
    We also liked Light sussex or??

I am not interested in silkies or any really small chicken breeds.. Just prefer a more sturdy heavy bird. Just wish I had someone (not to compete against) but who could show us the hoops of what most seasoned people already know.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Check in the Texas thread of the "Where am I? Where are you?" forum. Ideally find a poultry club that meets near you, and where you can get a number of folks to help introduce you to exhibition. However, even a single breeder or two that is near you. Doesn't, or at least should not, matter whether their breed is the one you choose, so long as they are interested in helping you find resources and folks who DO raise hte breeds you are interested in.

7. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    First off Julie I would like to say thank you for going about the way of learning to show chickens the right way.

I don't know what part of South Texas you are in but as I said in another thread, the Bluebonnet Classic in College Station is coming up and is your best bet to talk to someone that can help you out.

North Texas is where most of the poultry shows are in Texas (Ft Worth Area) but we are working hard to eliminate that. I forgot to say in the other thread that there is a show in Beaumont in March.

We have also started putting back together the Brazos Valley Poultry Club since there has been a lot more new interest in showing poultry in the southern part of Texas.
    Just PM me if you want more information and I am sure I can help or point you in th eright direction

Bob

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Sam Brush, the APA President lives in Texas. You might try contacting him.

9. blackred

blackred Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Blue Texas
    Quote:He will be at the BBC and of course the Stock Show. Sam pretty much has his thumb on the pulse of who has what in Large Fowl and is very good at helping people out.

10. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can't beat Sam as a first call for help.
    I am lucky to be here in Indiana. Doug Akers sent me the info for a 4-H seminar that is open to newbies to the Exhibition poultry world. I think it is a hint. lolololol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by