1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I wish we were all this lucky to live here.

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by olefarmersdaughter, Nov 4, 2012.

1. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    After reading the right-hand column......"What is permissible?".......I'll pass. Rural living is better than living under a lax Gestapo any day. They want to inspect your yard and such to see if they will "allow" you to own chickens. Oh what freedom. William Wallace would be proud.

2. olefarmersdaughter

olefarmersdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'd love to live in country..grew up on a dairy farm....but I'm stuck in the city at the moment so I'll take what I can get. Land around here..... very $$$$$$.

3. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    Some of us, must live in the City.

4. olefarmersdaughter

Jun 15, 2008
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm glad that they inspect your coop before you get chickens (even though I had mine before I applied and received my permit). Hopefully it will keep Mr. Numbnuts from thinking he can put a couple of hens in a portable dog kennel outside and say "good enough".

5. chickortreat

May 26, 2009
    I understand completely, and I sympathize with your having to live in the city (you both indicated it was not by choice), but I still think municipalities overstep their authority in dictating every little thing that people can and cannot do. So you can owns dogs, but not chickens? Who exactly decided it was their business to decide something so monumental? That's all I'm getting at. We need to take the country back.

6. ChemicalchiCkns

Oct 27, 2012
    I respect the needs of Others, to Safety and Health, as the Laws provide for. Not all Laws do so.

7. chickortreat

May 26, 2009
    I do not fear civilization as we know it being brought to an end by too many folks owning chickens. Widespread stupidity, with a goodly portion of tyranny stirred in will end it far sooner.

8. olefarmersdaughter

Jun 15, 2008
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm not sure how I first meant for people to take my original post but just to point out that there are cities that "embrace" chickens. I read hundreds of people trying to get ordinances pass in their communities. And although some view this as an encroachment on their lives (I, myself think it's ridiculous to have to have a permit), the reality is that I HAVE to have a permit. The good? They're free.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  9. ChemicalchiCkns

Oct 27, 2012
    I understand your Position, and respect it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by