1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I wished sombody had told me!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jjdward, May 4, 2009.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    I got duck because I thought they would be fun to raise plus I have always wanted to try duck eggs. I should have done more research because I had no idea how messy they were with their watter. Right now Im using a bowl type auto waterer. Are nipple drinkers better for ducks?

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Ducks need water to digest their food. They also need water to work through their feathers as they get older and distribute the oil. They aren't chickens. They are messy.

Duck eggs are delicious!

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  3. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    It didn't take long to find out that they are messy!! I was hoping that duck eggs are good. I had a great aunt that made homemade cakes for a living and all she used was duck eggs. I was thinking about a nipple drinker but didn't know if it would work with ducks.

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Muscovies are less messy than the mallard breeds but both are fun in their own way.

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have heard of people using thise nibble drinkers,,But ducks need enough water to clean out their nose holes..So I dont know how people get away with using those..My ducks are always sticking thier nose in the water a blowing to clean,,,My babies and my adults...
    PS Yes mallards are messy...That is what I have......

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    No, a duck has to be able to dip their nostrils in the water so the nipple type wouldn't work. I had ducks for a few weeks and gave up because of the mess!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    How old are the ducks? will you be putting them outside? Once I put them in a pen with a dog box it was not so bad.

8. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:They are about a month old and yes they are outside now. I guess I will just have to deal with the mess!!![​IMG]

9. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:They are about a month old and yes they are outside now. I guess I will just have to deal with the mess!!![​IMG]

My babies are 3 weeks will be 4 weeks Wednesday and still inside..They are messy I clean them out 3 times a day..They need it more some days....I am going to keep them inside for a few more weeks atleast until 6 weeks and then move them to the garage to a bigger cage..Then after feathered start introducing them to the adults...

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can use the nipple drinker at night and the full waterer that they can clean their nose in during the day.

I put their water bucket in different places in the yard each morning. They also have a pond to play in. Since I live in Colorado, excess moisture isn't really an issue, but if a wet pen was a problem, I would use a rabbit waterer. It do use one of those in my brooder. Ducks figure it out fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by