i witnessed my bantam hen that lays eggs CROW today!!!WHO ELSE HAS

chickenreyna

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
Had hens that crow? and I NEVER thought i would witness this epic of a event..i recall reading on rare occasions. hens will crow!

Well, she would be super aggressive TO OTHERS IN MY FLOCK..thats fitting SINCE she IS a crow-er now, too. #now that is a dual purpose chicken, right#LOLOL

I had a bantam hen (laid eggs) that reversed her sex and mentally became a roo, crowing and mounting other hens; it's a weird occurrence but entertaining nonetheless.

reversed her sex
Chickens don't 'reverse their sex'.

Females can crow and have other male behaviors tho,
it can depend on flock dynamics and hormone levels.
More likely for a laying female to assume male behaviors of there's no male in the flock.
Pretty rare tho.

Females who are molting or beyond laying health/years(ovary stops working) can assume male behaviors even with a male present.

I had a 30 month old female start to crow and share 'herding' duties with an 18 month old male, this was in winter while she was out of lay, she stopped when laying commenced again nearer spring.

i understand :) took on male or the roo part haha they are so intriguing animals .its funny i joke that, she's mad i wouldn't let her go broody approximately 1 month ago so she's showing me..by crowing NOW! shes done laying eggs or becoming a mother hen shes going all out NOW s LOLOL shes always been aggressive stalking my younger roo who just started crowing Funny thing is..shes way deeper of a crow so i think shes been crowing. It did not sound like a chickens first crow, i just assumed it was the adult roo i own crowing, probably! but i have a juvenile roo... he runs from her and her wings are dragging all puffed up Hackle feathers..lol

Chickens don't 'reverse their sex'.

Females can crow and have other male behaviors tho,
it can depend on flock dynamics and hormone levels.
More likely for a laying female to assume male behaviors of there's no male in the flock.
Pretty rare tho.

Females who are molting or beyond laying health/years(ovary stops working) can assume male behaviors even with a male present.

I had a 30 month old female start to crow and share 'herding' duties with an 18 month old male, this was in winter while she was out of lay, she stopped when laying commenced again nearer spring.
Interesting! well,she will be one year in Febuary and i have two roos..ones an adult and ones not fully matured..he just started to crow same day i saw her crow. Ironic! ;) lol they aren't exactly.. typical aggressive roosters, but, my adult roo protects the flock so hes not like a pansy completely LOL

I've had several hens that crowed. The first was an exchequer leghorn who was part of a trio I bought. She had been with me for maybe a year when I heard a second crow. Took me a while to actually catch her singing a duet with my leghorn cock bird. In my laying flock earlier this year 2 or 3 had a go. Tasha was one of them who is 5 and Cruella who is 3 was not only crowing but regularly mounting the other hens. They both went broody about a month later and I let them hatch and raise some chicks between them. One of them was a cockerel that is running with them now and they have not crowed since and are back to laying.

If there’s no rooster in your flock I’ve read it’s not uncommon for a hen to take on the role and crow. But as others said it just depends on the flock dynamic :)
I have a polish hen that crows. It’s intermittent when she does but non the less she does. It did start though when I rehomed both my boys.
I need a pic of the crowing polish crowing hen, they already Are something extra just the way they act oh thats funny:) my polish/ Silkie hen is so loud i cant imagine her tp crow it may bust my eardrums when shes loud its like a distinct gargling loud noise i can tell almost all of my hens "voices" apart tho..yeah I ADMIT i have a chicken problem ok:)
Heres my crowing hen
If u have crowing hens post pics im interested nut notice my crowing hens..posture she thinks shes something special

Back
Top Bottom