I wonder if I can put brooder box outside during the day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hemolymph, Apr 15, 2011.

1. hemolymph

hemolymph Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    My chickys are almost 3 weeks.. It's suppose to be 89 today. I wonder if I can just put their brooder box outside on the patio? It's like a plastic tote box with plastic poultry netting over the top.
    They are starting to stink up my guest room!

What do you think?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

With those kinds of temps, you'll have to watch more for heat exhaustion than anything else. Yes, they reek!! Have you an attached garage or out building you can take them to? String an extension cord?

3. hemolymph

hemolymph Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Fred's Hens :

With those kinds of temps, you'll have to watch more for heat exhaustion than anything else. Yes, they reek!! Have you an attached garage or out building you can take them to? String an extension cord?

The garage is probably already 100 degrees in there right now so that's probably too hot!

What would the extension cord be for?​

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Ha, for a heat lamp you do not need. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Wow! 89! Thats amazing, it's been in the 50's here. Umm, now I'd worry about getting overheated. Provide some shade and maybe a granite slab with a paper towel overtop of it to get traction. (That is if you have one xD Most people just don't have one laying around. Or stop at the pet store if you're really wanting it. They're actually used for Chinchilla's but hey! Who said they can't be used for chicks?) It just provides some extra coolness in there.

6. urbanfarmette

urbanfarmette Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Southeastern Wisconsin
    for rabbits they suggest a milk carton or the like filled with water, then frozen. maybe that would be a good solution. make sure you have a large enough box--at those temps something that isn't a black rubbermaid tote or similar that would soak up heat but still something that would block the wind. then put the frozen container on one end so they have a place to cool off.

jessica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by