I wonder if I have a "fair weather chicken" - for egglaying that is.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yankeefan, Mar 24, 2013.

1. yankeefan

yankeefan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hello everyone.

I have a White Crested Black Polish hen that is a year and a half old. I got her and 5 assorted other hens at 1 day old and once she began laying, she was keeping pace with all of the other girls in the coop. Then, this past Oct. or Nov. ( I can't remember exactly), she just stopped laying. Soon after, she went through a molting phase and I figured that she'd be laying again soon enough. That was December.

Now, I realize she's not gonna set any egg records but I'm starting to wonder if she may resume laying once the weather warms up a bit. I live in Upstate NY and it's still quite cold here. Hopefully spring shows up soon.

Thanks for any input you might share.

Yankeefan

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Chickens laying cycles are based off of length of daylight, not temperature. She should begin to lay once she is completely through molt (which she may be already) and the daylight is long enough. I have a few hens of mine that are still laying sporadically because the days are still semi short and I live in Southern Ohio. Some of my hens never missed a beat and continued all winter long like nothing happened. I also have two crazy hens that decided this is good brooding weather and have decided to hide nests from me (one which I have since found). It depends upon the breed too. Being that she is a polish hen I would say once it starts to warm up and the days continue to get longer that you should start to see eggs from her again soon. We have snow coming tonight, so I am right behind you on the spring coming! They keep saying this should be the last snow but I am starting to wonder after being told that 3 times in the past month.

3. yankeefan

yankeefan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the speedy reply minihorse. I kinda forgot about the daylight thing having an effect.

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Not a problem I hope she starts again for you soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by