I wonder if I made a mistake

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Linda in San Diego, May 21, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    And can I fix it if I did?
    The Delightful Dozen were moved from the brooder to the run/coop. The coop sits above one end of the run, about 3 feet off the ground. The chicks were in the run all day Sunday. They have been herded/placed back in the coop everynight. Did I mess up? Should I have started them in the coop for a few days and then allowed them into the run. How long will it take for them to learn the coop is a good place, what if the coop we made is not right, LOL - Chicken Mom worry attack.

2. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    As a rule of theumb I use 3 or 4 days in the new place first before letting them out, keep the feed in their and move the water outside. Then open the hatch and let them explore on their own. This way even at night they will always want to go inside.

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Ok, can I fix it by keeping them in for a couple of days and then opening the pop door, food in and water out?

4. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Certtainly wont hurt and give them ownership of thier new space. Keep us posted.

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Ive opened the coop for a turnout and some might stay 2 days if its a large coop and plenty of room they will stay inside longer. Yes it wont hurt to keep them up for 2-3 days then turn them back out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by