I wonder if my Jersey Giant is really a Black Star Sex link

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ThinkingChickens, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Hmm, the breeder said that Ethel is a Jersey Giant. The thing about this is she is SO small compared to our Delaware and Barred Rock. Do they just grow slower? Even her feet are smaller than the other two. The Barred Rock is about 11 weeks and the Delaware and JG are 10 weeks. So, it seems odd that the JG would be so much smaller. Is this normal? How can I tell the difference because she looks a lot like both stock photos I've found.

2. chick-george

chick-george Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    I've read that they do grow pretty slowly compared to smaller breeds.

3. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I saw your post and thought a picture might help you. This is BO and Jersey Giant same age at 8 weeks. I don't know if my others with have a sudden growth spurt and out grow my JG in a couple of weeks, but so far they have been growing at about the same rate.
    [​IMG]

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I have one jersey giant and she is growing much more rapid than the black sex links.

You can see the Jersey in the lower left hand corner...she is only 5 days older than the other chicks...
    [​IMG]

5. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    LOL and I"ve been wondering of my Black Marans are really Black Jersey Giants..............but I did read that the JG grow slower and my Black Marans are larger than the other's thier age.

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Thank you guys! Mine does look like that other JG so perhaps she's just waiting to fill out. I guess it doesn't really matter each way as both are good layers. I think the only one disappointed will be my son because he loved the adult JG's he saw. I guess we can always get more chickens! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by