I wonder what my neighbors thought

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Knittycat, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    My daughter didn't latch the door to the run properly this morning. She came running in panicked because the door flew open in the wind, and Puck got out.
    I, still in my blue satin night gown and pink satin robe, slipped on my sparkly flip-flops by the door to round up Puck and toss him back into the run. I get to the back yard and find that she didn't bother to close the door after he'd gotten out, and in the time it took her to come tell me, and for me to get back out there, several more chickens had gotten out. So I was chasing several chickens around the coop, robe and nighty flapping in the breeze, shouting at my daughter to hold the open and to make sure the chickens who were still in the run didn't get out. She panicked and failed at the second half of that task, jumping whenever a chicken came near. So I (yelled, I'm sorry to say. I was ticked) told her to go back to the house.
    So I ran round and round the coop and run with a stick herding each chicken over to the door and then back into the coop. Occasionally an already contained chicken would make moves to re-escape, and I'd have to leave off chasing the current chicken to make sure the other didn't escape. It finally occurred to me to shut the chickens in the coop as I got them back into the run. So, while several chickens were still in the yard I was herding the chickens in the run up the ramp and into the coop and shutting the door behind them.
    Then I resumed herding the loose chickens back into the run, and into the coop.
    Finally, all but one chicken had been contained
    The loose chook was my banty rooster Jerkface.
    I chased him ALL OVER the yard. He found the *one spot* where the fence hadn't been secured properly (I made a mental note to grump out the guy who did our fence. He did a really crappy job) and ducked through it to the outside world.
    So, now I, in my satin nighty and robe and sparkly sandals, am running around the side yard like a mad woman, waving a stick at a small chicken. Next to the road. Which is juuuuust down the street from the highway.
    I manage to herd Jerkface back into the yard and over to the coop. Getting him to go back into the run was tricky, but I did it.
    I released the rest of the chooks back into the run, went back inside the house, and let my daughter know that she was no longer allowed to mess with the chickens.

2. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    Sounds like you can expect a visit from PETA for chicken abuse! [​IMG]

3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That had to be a funny sight

4. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Oh, I do hope your neighbors have pictures. I shall be scanning YouTube today. [​IMG]

I am new to all of this. I only have 4 hens that free-range the entire world every day. They do, however, put themselves in their hutch when the sun goes down. I find when they are sleepy, they are very easy to catch and handle, and I really did not raise them to be handled. My dogs and cats demand so much affection, I felt it best to leave the chickens and ducks to themselves. [​IMG]

Last night, I arrived home late. I had moved and closed the chicken hutch because I had been building a doggy foyer nearby. When I walked onto the back porch, 2 hens were roosting on porch rails. I handed one to my son, and carried the other back to the hutch. Another was nearby the hutch. I looked and looked for the 'wild one', Roxie, my Barred Rock. Finally, I realized we had walked by her roosting on the back porch rail many times. I easily picked her up and put her to bed with the others. [​IMG]

One of the few things I know about chickens is that once they go nighty-night, they are very easy to pick up and handle. In the future, instead of chasing your chickens, you may want to wait until they settle and just calmly pick them up. [​IMG]

5. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    At least you got a good story out of the deal! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    [​IMG]:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

Too funny

7. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]I'm cracking up reading your story. Wonder what your neighbors thought.[​IMG]

8. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    That...was an awesome story. I have had to chase my birds all over hell and back as well. At five this morning, I went out in my nightie and my flip flops to try and shoot a possum with a garden hose. (MY dog had been trying to claw down the fence to get at it, so I feel your pain).

BTW, Jerkface is a CLASSIC name. [​IMG]

9. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    However, the chickens rewarded me with another girl starting to lay! YEA!!!

10. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I want to know if you were yelling "Get back in there Jerkface" too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by