i wonder...........

Johndale

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
since buff orpingtons and silkies make such good broodys has anyone ever mixed these together it would make an awesome mother
if u have post pics

Thought you'd get a better answer here....

Better answer?? First, not sure to many folks out there have crossed silkies to orpingtons, but will see. Second, I simply asked a question to the OP asking why.​

chill, the guy just want an answer.

he isn't asking you to defuse a bomb, and please try and stay curteous to other members and the OP.

I too would be a little dissapointed if someone asked me a question to my question. but thats no need to go off on someone.

i personally have no experience with this cross, and I cannot help you.

good luck anyway!
wink.png

the hen would probobaly always be broody
tongue.png
lol funny but not good for the hen! im sure it would be a pretty mix.

edit cause i cant spell
tongue.png

Last edited:
You would cross them for the same reason, everyone else crosses thier birds, to see if you can get a cool looking bird that combines the qualities of both parents. I think it would be cool, Someone should try to make a large sized silkie that sets all the time like pure silkies, but could set more eggs from their larger size.

Johndale, I know there is a pic of a roo somewhere on here that is a cross of a Buff Orp and a Silkie, but I couldn't find it again in the search. Maybe you will have better luck finding it. But it like all other Silkie crosses I've see was smooth feathered, small crest, feathered feet, will probably have black skin, and the color will vary depending on the parents colors. And I would imagine they would be great setters.

Lemme tell ya... Last year, I bought 13 beautiful buff orpington chicks. Drove almost two hours to get them. The second or third day, I noticed that one looked like it was wearing eyeliner. As the chicks grew, this one special chick looked totally different. Neck was longer. Feathers on top of its head, etc. Guess what? It was a silkie/BO cross. Ugly little sucker! At that point, I hadn't realized the Silkie love that I've had this year, so I sold it. Your post made me think about that little thing.

They may make good broodies, but they are UGLY! Sorry if I offend anyone.
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom