i wonder...........

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Johndale, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    since buff orpingtons and silkies make such good broodys has anyone ever mixed these together it would make an awesome mother
    if u have post pics

2. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Why mix the two when both already have the natural instinct to brood and be good mothers?? Just curious.....

Shari

3. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Crap, sorry.. Thought you'd get a better answer here....

4. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Thought you'd get a better answer here....

Better answer?? First, not sure to many folks out there have crossed silkies to orpingtons, but will see. Second, I simply asked a question to the OP asking why.​

5. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    chill, the guy just want an answer.

he isn't asking you to defuse a bomb, and please try and stay curteous to other members and the OP.

I too would be a little dissapointed if someone asked me a question to my question. but thats no need to go off on someone.

i personally have no experience with this cross, and I cannot help you.

good luck anyway! [​IMG]

6. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    the hen would probobaly always be broody [​IMG] lol funny but not good for the hen! im sure it would be a pretty mix.

edit cause i cant spell [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    You would cross them for the same reason, everyone else crosses thier birds, to see if you can get a cool looking bird that combines the qualities of both parents. I think it would be cool, Someone should try to make a large sized silkie that sets all the time like pure silkies, but could set more eggs from their larger size.

Johndale, I know there is a pic of a roo somewhere on here that is a cross of a Buff Orp and a Silkie, but I couldn't find it again in the search. Maybe you will have better luck finding it. But it like all other Silkie crosses I've see was smooth feathered, small crest, feathered feet, will probably have black skin, and the color will vary depending on the parents colors. And I would imagine they would be great setters.

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
  9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:It's in the Mutts thread in the Breeds and genetics section post #26 heres the page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=275584&p=3
    catdaddy

Thanks catdaddy, those weren't the ones I was talking about, but they are still cool, the one I am talking about was a solid dark Buff and and I believe with this one, the daddy was a white silkie and the mom was a BO.

10. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Lemme tell ya... Last year, I bought 13 beautiful buff orpington chicks. Drove almost two hours to get them. The second or third day, I noticed that one looked like it was wearing eyeliner. As the chicks grew, this one special chick looked totally different. Neck was longer. Feathers on top of its head, etc. Guess what? It was a silkie/BO cross. Ugly little sucker! At that point, I hadn't realized the Silkie love that I've had this year, so I sold it. Your post made me think about that little thing.

They may make good broodies, but they are UGLY! Sorry if I offend anyone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by