I won't fly the coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pardee_Boy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    My hens who I keep mostly in the coop/run while at work or not home are now refusing to leave all together. I open the door and they just stay in the coop on the roost bar and hang out all day. My rooster takes off and is glad to be free ranging. But the hens just stay put.

My rooster also has been attacking the hens pulling tail feathers and chasing them . Not sure if they just stay in the roost to keep away from the roo. I'm planning on getting rid of the rooster who isn't a bad bird just too full of angst to stay here.

So my question is are my hens getting ready to start laying for me or are they scared of my roo?

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I think they are just avoiding the roo. I had an aggressive roo for a while and some of my hens also stayed in the coop until I rehomed him.

3. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    currently trying to just give him away but no takers yet. I have him posted here on BYC I know its a tough thing to do getting rid of a roo. Worse comes to worse I can ask people out here by me who have a large farm with several chickens if they want him. Or its just off to the big rooster room in the sky.[​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Probably they are avoiding your rooster. You might try locking him up if you have a place and see if they roam while he is not around. At least then you would know for sure, but I agree with Sjisty that they are avoiding him.

Sounds like yours are around 15 to maybe 20 weeks old. Many adolescent roosters get more mature in their attitudes and actions as they get older. It also makes a big difference in the dynamics when the pullets mature enough to accept the roosters advances instead of trying to avoid him. They are both going through an awkward adolescent phase. Sometimes some of them never seem to grow out of it, but most do. If you really don't want the rooster, things will be more peaceful if you get rid of him. It just means you will not be able to hatch those eggs. But if you really do want the rooster, you might try to hang on for a month or two and see how the dynamics change. Purely a personal choice.

Good luck!!!

5. Pardee_Boy

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    Thanks for the info. I'm only concerned for the hens and they aren't show quality birds. ! RIR and 2 sexlinks I think. I just placed an order for Partridge Cochins 3 hens and 1 roo. but it'll be a bit before they enter the coop. I also think the dog attack my rooster had has something to do with his behavior. He chases the hens back into the coop anytime they try to free range. Some feather go flying and a loud racket happens when this goes on.

Side note yesterday evening a large mixed flock of birds chased a hawk into the front yard where one died in my hands after being nailed by the hawk . I havn't seen any large birds of prey near the chickens but I'm not here all day and this could also have a impact on the rooster. I'm not sure what to do at this point. The run is covered by 120% shade cloth and I'm sure they can't be seen from the sky unless they are free ranging. Sigh what to do.????

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by