1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I wormed my flock for the first time!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roy Rooster, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I did it, I wormed my flock for the first time. I was really nervous because I have
    never done this before and it seemed to be the most confusing part of
    raising backyard chickens for me.

Anyway, I did it, I wormed them orally as it has been suggested by many other
    BYC owners.

It was not bad at all. I have to do it again in 10 days but I am not nervous
    for the next round like I was for this one.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who have helped me navigate this somewhat
    confusing part of chicken stewardship for me. I appreciate all your experience
    and for taking the time to educate me.

Thanks again, we did it!!! [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Congrats! It gets easier as time goes by. You'll be an expert before you know it!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Roy, did you use a wormer in their water, or use the kind you put on their skin under the feathers? Or feed individually to each bird?

I am gonna have to worm my flock but they have many sources of drinking water. So I need to use another method. I know some of them need to be wormed, so I bet they all need it.
    <*sigh*>

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    what kind of wormer did you use on your chickens?

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi, I used Safe-guard, it was recommended by a few other BYCers. I put it in their mouths individually. While
    I was at it I put hen saddles on the ladies. They look so cute running around with their little outfits on.
    My roo does not know what to think about all his girls dressed up.

It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I was so nervous that I would screw it up and chock
    them or get in their eyes, but they actually took to it quite well. I think that putting on the hen saddle
    upset them more. [​IMG]

6. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Yea, I do it again in another 10 days, I think even then I will find it easier and the girls will
    know the drill too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by