I would have bet an arm and a leg...But

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Elphaba2140, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    But then I wouldn't have been able to walk!

I have had the strangest last couple of weeks. We have a smallish flock of chickens. I have a group of girls that I got from McMurray last year. 25 bantam chicks were mostly boys don’t you know. From them I kept the girls-2 Sultans, 2 white laced red Cornish, 1 dark Cornish, and a Buff Brahma. I also got 2 LF Leghorns from the feed store. This year I ordered a batch of different birds and of those IF I could I requested pullets.
    I had to order some straight runs to get my BBS Cochins and BLR Wyandotte’s. Of those 14 alone, I got 3 pullets. The reds went to the freezer or to a farm. The Blue boys just went last week or so. Being that they were just 16 weeks, I never saw any mating. The largest of the young men had just started to try and even the banty girls would give them what for and he would run like his life depended on it. The old girls kept them in line quite well. They were henpecked to say the least.
    So a couple of weeks ago, the WLR Cornish decided to go broody. A Cornish I did say. Then her sister joined her. I would just take the eggs and laugh at them and say “those aren’t going to ever hatch.” I decided the best way to show them was to just let them have some and when they didn’t hatch they would just give up. Ya right! They stuck tight.
    Well…After putting up the teen roos into my freezer over the last few weeks, imagine my surprise when I found a chick in my nest box this morning!!!! What a great big surprise! I will get a picture later but mom’s let me check it out and it is just fine. It appears to have come from a Sultan egg but looks to be a Splash Cochin. That is going to be one strange looking bird! Poor “Doo Girl” as we call them cuz they have hairdoo’s don’t ya know. That big boy weighed in at 78 oz. and she is just a little thing.
    I just had to share my story because now I know how excited you all get when this happens.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Comes to show..ya never know...lol

Congrats on your little ones...please post pics !!!!

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    BIG congrats!! We will be needing pics now.

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Definitely want to see pictures!

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Elphaba2140

good thing you didn't bet. What an interesting story. Some people try soooo hard to get hatchlings and you didn't particularly want it to happen and poof! Quite a surprise.

BTW, loved the musical Wicked and the sound track!

6. Elphaba2140

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks everyone! I am so tickled. One of the sisters started to pick on the baby so I took 1/2 the eggs and gave them to her in a small dog crate. I just want to make sure this little one stays safe. I candled another egg and it is ready to hatch too! I am honestly floored by this apparent immaculate preggnancy. LOL.

Well mom was kind enough to let me get it out and take a quick picture.

I have decided to name it America in honor of the holiday.

[​IMG]

PS - Chickat-I am a die hard Wicked fan. Saw the original Broadway group when they came here to Chicago. One of the best shows I have ever seen.

7. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    Life will find a way! You have your very own Jurrasic Park![​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Cab the Mane

Cab the Mane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Now we just have to see if America turns out to be more akin to "Lady Liberty" or "Uncle Sam" [​IMG]

9. Elphaba2140

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I would love another pullet. The chick seems to be small so it definitely has mom's body genes and dad's coloring. We will just have to wait and see. I will love it no matter if it is a roo or a pullet. I do like the Uncle Sam or Lady Liberty theme.

10. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    so CUTE....MORE PICS!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by