I would like more information about silkies.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cynthia 085, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Songster

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Hello :)
    I am new to this whole chicken hobby :)

I think this little one is a female, but I am not sure. It has "motherly instincts", but I can't assume the sex just because of how it acts or can I? This little one opens up it's legs and then just sits on the other little chicks; like a hen would.

I live in the city and can't have roos unfortunately so sexing is important. I think this little one is a gray and not a blue silkie as it has patches of dark black and light gray colors mixed.
    Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

Also how old does this chick look? How do I introduce it to the flock? At what age?
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Its too young to accurately tell gender. Behavior is usually not a good indicator-- even cocks can be "motherly" and try to protect other birds. I am leaning towards cockerel, though, based off of the tall stance and small, pointy crest. However, the comb is small and narrow, which could indicate a pullet. It may be easier to tell gender in a couple more weeks.

I'm not sure how old she is. But, I am guessing that she/he is around 7-8 weeks old. What other birds are you introducing "it" into? If you're putting her with large fowl chickens, I'd wait until she's at least 14-16 weeks old, as if she's too small, she'll get picked on more by the others. If you introduce her into a bantam flock, you could do it a little sooner.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Songster

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Thanks.
    It would really suck if it was a roo :( That means I can't keep it.
    Ok I will re-post an up date in a couple of weeks so you can see it again.
    Man I hope it is a she.

Anyways thanks for all of your help. I am introducing this chick to big chickens like Orpington and Red Reproduction ect
    Thanks again for all of your help!
    Cynthia

4. Cynthia 085

Cynthia 085 Songster

May 4, 2014
    CO
    Hi here is an updated photo of the little gray silkie
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: