I would like some baby chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wlsgma, Feb 24, 2014.

1. wlsgma

wlsgma New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    So I am really new with chickens. My first year (spring 2013)purchased 5 chick hens and 1 chick roaster from the local hardware store. We have had a great year and everyone made it and have been laying eggs. I would like to increase my flock this spring by 2 or 3 chicks and would also like the experience of hatching. My questions can I just leave a few eggs in the nest box and one of the chickens will start to sit on them? Thanks in advance for you time and experience.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No. A hen has to go broody first. It's a hormonal change that makes them want to hatch eggs. You will know a broody when she is on the nest at night, makes strange clucking noises, puffs up at you when you check for eggs and possibly plucks her belly bare.

If you have a hen that is on the verge of broodiness, sometimes placing eggs will help it along, but most often, that's not the case. (unless you have silkies)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

No,that wont work unless you already have a broody hen. Best bet is to get an incubator.

4. wlsgma

wlsgma New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Thank you for your help, I guess it's off to the hardware store this spring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by