1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I would like to purchase 2 fertilized eggs for my brooding hen.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lambertvmb, May 26, 2016.

1. Lambertvmb

Lambertvmb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    South Dakota
    Does anyone know where I can get just two eggs? No local farmers to help out. I live in South Dakota and have 3 barred rock. Since I am in the city, can only have 6 chickens and don't really need more than 4 or 5. Most hatcheries in our area sell them in a much larger quantity. Would like something similar in size when adult. Thanks for your input and help.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    You need to bear in mind that not all eggs will hatch for a variety of reasons, especially if they are mailed, so it might be worth buying half a dozen and selling any extras that you might have. You also need to be prepared to deal with any cockerels that result.... 50% are likely to be cockerels but you could be unlucky with so small a sample and get all cockerels, or lucky and get all pullets. My neighbour was unlucky and got 4 out of 4 cockerels, so it does happen. Good luck with your broody hen and getting her some eggs.
    Broody hens are the best!

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Rebrascora gave such good information. I forgot to mention that in my post. I was thinking the same thing. If shipping, you probably want to buy a dozen eggs since hatching rate will be lower. Even if picking up fresh eggs locally, you probably want at least 5 eggs. They won't all hatch and if lucky, with 5 you may get 2 pullets.

5. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    You can buy eggs on ebay

6. Lambertvmb

Apr 13, 2015
    South Dakota
    I do realize that I could get males instead of females, so would need more than 2 and doubt anyone wants to sell less than 6 but certainly don't want to buy a dozen and end up with lots of chickens I would need to get rid of. Thanks for the reminder and for those who read this also.

7. Lambertvmb

Apr 13, 2015
    South Dakota
    Thanks Rebrascora. Helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by