I would like to start breeding Polish but dont know where to start

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BookWorm243, Nov 11, 2010.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Hello [​IMG]
    I have been thinking of breeding/showing Polish. My problem is I dont know where to start [​IMG] I have gotten 4 chicks 1 roo and 3 hens. My roo is a Silver laced my hens are White Crested Black, White Crested Blue and a Buff Laced. They are pure bred chicks but I have no clue how close they are to breed standards. Any and all help would be great!

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    do you know of any poultry shows in your area? you could always just go as a spectator and check it out, ask questions to lots of different people. or just find an upcoming show and see if you'd be able to enter.
    as far as finding breed standards, you may have to buy the standard of perfection book. some people post pics in the breed threads here on BYC and get some feedback that way

3. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I am in North Carolina, I am not sure if there are any shows that's a good idea tho. I know there is a new Standard Of Perfection book out but I don't know where to buy it.

4. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I saw 2 new ones on ebay last week or week before. There may be new ones on there again.

My Polish problem is none of my shipped eggs have ever hatched and I went from all hens to all roos, so gotta find some girls.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  6. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks for the posts! I am going to search for some poultry shows.

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I think there is a polish thread here on BYC too

8. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:Just keep in mind that while you can breed your Polish, you shouldn't breed any of what you have together. Also, your chicks are hatchery chicks, so I doubt they will be up to the standard for breeding or showing.

If you are really serious about it, get in contact with a breeder and get eggs or chicks from them.

P.S.- I wouldn't count on your SL being a roo or the others being girls just yet. I saw your what gender is this post and commented that you needed to wait until they had indicators to figure it out. The difference between breeder and hatchery Polish is imense.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I know MPC has hatching eggs, you should look on there. mypetchicken.com

10. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Quote:My Pet Chicken is who I ordered my chicks from [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by