1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

I would like to visit about blue chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gimmie birdies, Nov 23, 2013.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Hi I just got some free "blue" pullets, they are most likely maran mix.one blue and one splash. They have dark colored maran eyes, they are smaller than my splash maran I have. I don't care about pure this is just for me and fun and I wanted to visit with other people who have blues that want to visit about blue chickens. I also have a blue andelusian roo, and a blue americana roo. Spring is a ways off but I am excited to see what happens.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have pictures?

I somehow hatched out a blue barred pullet this spring--I've been thinking about what roo to put her under. I don't have any blue roosters, only black barred right now. I've been thinking about getting a blue based Easter egger guy this spring, I love the blue color and the blue or green eggs!

Here's a pic of my girl--she's not nice and fluffy like your birds probably are. She's (I think) got some leghorn and Easter egger in her, really not sure what else [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    try a black copper maran or any black with a purple sheen you can find. good luck. I just got my birdies so no pics yet.[​IMG]

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    this hen is my blue splash maran, guess what I figured out? the blue chickens I adopted are laying fertile eggs. I didn't even think about that till now, but my roosters would not have been the ones. so it will still be a mystery what the chickens will look like.. I have a broody and a heated coop so I will try it that way this time.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    hmmmm, I am rethinking my whole chicken flock. I got Delawares and Dominiques, thinking of crossing them, hoping to get a darker feather pattern with a bit more meat.... but another thread, does not make this sound promising. I need something that can blend into the vegetation and not be so visible to predators. Had an Easter egger, but the line died out..... may back that route.

Once saw a hybrid on here, called a bluebell...... very pretty. So many ideas, long time till spring.

Mrs K

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I just read this in a poultry mag-
    1. cross blue to blue will produce 50%blue 25%black 25%splash
    2. cross blue to black will produce 50% black, 50% blue.
    3. cross black to splash will produce 100% blue-
    4. Splash to splash 100% splash.

It goes on to say if you breed splash to black w/gold hackles you will get a chicken with a greenish sheen, if you want to not have any brassy coloring in your chicken breed with a purple black chicken. (australorp?)

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I was just thinking to try to get some barred bantam cochin hens this spring, and put them under a splash silkie rooster. That should give me blue sex link chicks!

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mrs K--wouldn't the partridge/quail colored breeds be best for blending? Welsummers, colors like that? IDK exactly what color a Wellie is called.......

9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would stay away from the barred- I put a barred roo on my splash maran and got barred chickens.

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, a barred rooster will have all barred offspring, no matter what hen you put under him. but a barred hen will only give barring to her male offspring, not to her female. It's how they breed black sex links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by