I would love advice on my brooder under "construction"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Feb 8, 2009.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I posted a couple pics before, but am in the finishing stages I think, but am unsure where to put the light. My hubby is really good with this stuff, but he's out of town for work, so it's all on me! He placed a block of wood on top for me to clip the light to, but it's not going to work there. The light doesn't shine down enough. I am not sure about just setting the light on top of the wire, because the bulb is bigger than the hood of the light, and I'm not sure I like the bulb itself sitting on the wire. I know it's not going to ignite it...but just not sure I'm comfortable with it.

So I'm wondering what you all think. We built our coop using all the wonderful ideas on this website. So I'm hoping my brooder can be the same. It's a 2x4x2' high water tank for livestock with a hinged plywood cover, with a "window" with hardware cloth stapled over it. But I could take the hardware cloth off, or off part of it, and just clip the light to one side of the "window" for the time being. Just hoping I can get some great input here. I will hopefully be housing 10 chicks (RIRs and australorps) in it. I'm not sure it will be big enough until they are fully feathered, but we will see.

Thank you! Last May when we raised chicks....we only had a box. So we're definitely stepping up in the world.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I would take the wood cover off for now and just put the heat lamp on the side of the tank. It will be a few weeks before the chicks can jump the 2 feet out of the tank and by then they won't need as much heat, At the beginning they will need the light 18 to 24 inches above the litter, which put it right at the level of the top of your tank. Other than that it should work fine.

Steve in NC

3. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I would put two upright boards on both sides of your wire and one across the top and hang the light down, change the light bulb to a lower watt one when it gets too hot. You will need to put blocks of wood unerneath the cover one on each side ( this will give the upright board some stibility)and screw them up threw the metal than screw the upright ones the same way from underneath (screw up threw the blocks of wood into the bottom of the upright you will need long screws for this part) screw one acoss the top of them that's all I have
    Good luck. [​IMG]

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    That's a nice setup you have there! It probably won't be big enough for ten chicks at eight weeks of age, but it should provide enough room for at least the first few weeks.

I wouldn't put the bulb directly on the wire, that much heat directly on metal for that long can't be good. As for positioning the heat lamp, if the clip doesn't work out, another option would be to put a shelf bracket on the wall next to the brooder, which you can hang the heat lamp from. This way, you can easily adjust temperature by raising and lowering the heat lamp. This setup worked out really well for me.

5. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

You have almost the same setup that I have but my brooder (or any birds for that matter) are not allowed in the house. [​IMG] Because I have to keep the brooder in the barn my temps are not as controlled. It can get pretty cold out there in spring so I have my lamps (2 lamps, my tank is about twice as big as yours) under the lid for the first few weeks. As the temps go up, and their need for heat goes down, I then put the lamps on top of the lid.

I would suggest you put a thermometer in there and try a few different placements to get you the temp you need/want.

6. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the input! Crzychicken...I think I can picture what you're talking about...and I like the shelf bracket idea too!

The reason for the lid is kitties! I forgot to mention that! I do have a thermometer, I haven't done any test runs yet, only because I haven't decided where to put that light.... I have two bulbs, a 250 watt and a lower watt heat bulb... I'll have to do a test run and see what's going on.

But this is sure a step up for us from a box!

Thank you for the suggestions!
    Angie

7. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    That is a nice set-up.I would see if you can screw a piece of 2x4 to the bottom side of the top.Screw it with the 1 1/2"side up to the plywood so you are clamping to the bigger surface and put a couple screws so the clamp can't work it's way off.I wouldn't trust them clamps alone.I always hang mine with chain.But put it off to one side so if it did get too hot they could get away from it.Get a thermometer too.Depending where your brooders at you could get away with a lower wattage bulb.

If you were going to keep using that set-up.I would think about buying a 6"recessed canister light at Lowes for about $6. and mount it on your top with a dimmer switch to control the temp.
    good luck Will
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=60548-337-H7ICT&lpage=none

8. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks,

I have a thermometer, wouldn't raise chicks without one.

You can use a dimmer switch with a heat lamp? Or are you talking regular bulbs? Interesting!

Angie

9. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    actually...the bottom pic, you can see the thermometer in there. I put it inside so I wouldn't lose it! (I'm terrible that way!)

Angie

10. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Whatever way you choose, don't trust the clamp on the light. Hang it securely so it cannot fall down. Those heat lamps start fires very easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by