I would love to see pics of your old chickens, weather still here or gone, and, know how old. Who ha

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cynthia12, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I bet there are a lot of pictures out there of your long lost friends, or some that still have a chicken that is getting up there in years. I have no idea how long a chicken lives. Do the bantam live longer than the large fowl? Ha, like small dogs live longer than the larger dogs? [​IMG] Well, looking forward to some pictures! Or even if you don't have a picture, tell us about the oldest one of your birds got to be.

2. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
  3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh what a sweetheart! She probably loved the company of the other animals. Thank you for sharing. Have to chuckle at the doggy taking a liking to the "presents." Dogs! Are such dogs! I use to rescue dogs, foster dogs..and train them. I'm older now, but I have my own babies. Two out of the three like the treats the chickens..ahem..leave behind. Such dogs. You are a sweetheart to take on a chicken like this, but my goodness, it must have been so neat to see her come to your voice, or noises. What a great story!

Anyone else have an old chicken..or had one?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken

Thanks, I once saw Luna (dog) lick Hazel.. they liked eachother alot. I can't believe I could care so much about a chicken... I still cry about her passing to this day. Animals bring out the best in people [​IMG]

5. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    First is Penny, a mixed hen, then is Cindy, silver laced Wyandotte and last is Little Red Hen an Old English hen- all are 6 years old. Penny is still laying eggs regularly, Cindy lays sporadically and LRH doesn't lay any eggs but we give her day old chicks to raise and each spring she raises a brood of chicks (those are standard size Rhode Island Red chicks) :)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    6 years old is great! I love that you let Little Red Hen take on babies. That makes her life happy, I can tell, good mom! And, wow, going to have to look up Old English Hens..she's very pretty! I love her..

7. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

redneck my 10 yr old turken.lived wild for 10 yrs.. now dead.died about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  8. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma

He was a beautiful chicken for his age. I have a Rhode Island Red Rooster, and he looks like he is 15. Ha Ha I got him at a swap meet, so I don't really know how old he is.

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Here are my two gals, they have been with me for a while. They are now 5 yrs old. This picture is of Betty. I can't find one of Marquita, my other Rhode Island Red hen.
    That piece of cloth in the back ground is my hand made chicken saddle, the hen who had it must of got right out of it when I left. Ha ha. Darn chicken
    [​IMG]

10. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I had always wondered about their story. Thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by