iam a new chicken owner, and i need help and advice

Tristan l

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
how do i tell the age and gender of chicks and how big should a coop be for 6 chickens and what kind are these when i bought them at tractor supply they said rainbow layer
[/IMG]

Ahh its difficult to tell now :/ as in this pic we can see its back(even the back not so clearly) ?? did'nt you asked your supplier about its brerd or gender ?? please post some pics from front wings face and tail of chicks :) and about rainbow layer am not surr but it really look alike rainbow layers but you have to wait to see :)

welcome-byc.gif

The chick in the pic looks to be between one and two weeks old going off the wing development. As for the rainbow layers.... Some places sell the Easter Egger chicks as "rainbow layers" meaning you could get white, green, or brown eggs. Other places sell a variety pack of chicks as "rainbow layers" meaning you could get brown egg layers, white egg layers or green egg layers of various breeds not just EE.
Easter Eggers will have green color in the legs as an indicator to help you figure them out.

The white feathering is making me think without seeing the legs that this is most likely a white rock or a leghorn. White Rock will lay brown eggs and leghorn will lay white eggs.

Your chicks are probably White Plymouth Rocks (though the first chick seems to have a reddish tint- is that true?). They are too young to sex and are probably about a week old.For 6 chickens, you want a coop that is at least 24 square feet (4 square feet per bird), with a run of ideally at least 60 square feet (10 sq. feet per bird).

what about Easter Egger or white ply mouth ?? i have listened from some source that rainbow layer are mix breeds and they can lay egg of any colour but it does not seems true :) leghorn was a better option to me but it seems that your chick has some brownish touch on its back so it cant be a leghorn ply mouth ?? nul its not that large :p i would rather go with Easter egger or rainbow layer (y)

Back
Top Bottom