I'am just not sure what to do

Bare bottom farm

Songster
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
White Pine
Hi all one of my fav chickies started laying really bloody eggs last part of dec and really part of Jan. I cleaned her up and and it did not look like a prolapse,just blood vessels breaking. I got to stop laying for about 10 days. Her bottom went back to normral looking. She is 34 weeks old,she started laying at 26 weeks,she is a small chicken,breed cream brabanter. Well she laid a egg today for the first time in 10 days and it was bloody and in the floor of the coop, there was bood on the wall and shaving where she must have been. I looked at her bottom and it is jjust a little swallen. What to do?? Well she do this for ever?? Should I cull her?? I'am at my wits ends,she is my fav and I don;t want her in pain... Any info would be great!! Thank you!!

Are you sure it is her that is bleeding at this point? Could there be any other reasons for the blood you saw today?

Sometimes birds do break blood vessels when they first begin to lay. However, the amount of blood you describe does seem excessive (without pictures it would be hard to confirm anything for sure). Are you sure she is the one that is producing that much blood?

If there is blood, you really should remove her from the flock. They will see it, and pick at it. Try sitting her in a bath, and cleaning her up. Check her vent for signs of wounds. Is the blood only when she lays, or is it coming from elsewhere? Check all over.

HI all , I know it is coming from her only. I have sat and watched her lay. I only have 5 in the coop where she is. The blood is coming from her vent only. But I will give her a bath and clean her up more than just cloth cleaning.. Thank you all..

Back
Top Bottom