I'am working on my coop and I am wondering about pop doors ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Oct 29, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I have an mix size flock. [​IMG] What size should the door be? Which way should the door open? Is there an way for it to open from our house like pulleys or something? Is there an easy chep automatic door? Are lift up doors better or slideing? Is there an lock that locks when the door comes down from the pulley it locks and when I pull up it unlocks? Sorry for all the questions I'am an newbie [​IMG]
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    3 N.C., Welcome to BYC! Good questions. I would go with 12"-14" wide x 16"- 18'' high. Be sure to rough in opening for door about 6'' above floor level if ya gonna do deep litter method. I personally like vertical movement. You can build a simple track system for the door to slide up and down in. You can also do a simple pully and rope system to open and close from outside or go alittle more high tech and do a motor set up with timer. Depends on your skill level and budget. Would suggest going to coop design section and do your homework. Read as much as you can before building. Do it once right...won't have to do it again. Good luck with your final decision. If ya go to my page, I have two coops using vertical lift pop doors with motors and timers for an idea to start with. Did mine for $100.00 each. Well worth it if ya don't want to go out early in the morning to let your girls out and in the eve. to lock them down.
    Erik

3. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I have a 12"x12" opening for the girls with a hinged door opening from inside the run.Seems to be working really well with my set up.Just do a little exploring here on the site and make a choice from a wide variety of things. Good Luck

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks for the info. I don't have 100 to spend on my automatic door [​IMG] . Thanks for the measurements guys. [​IMG]

5. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hey! my 'Chicken condo" is six foot tall and built with a foot clearance above the ground. I cut a hole just above the wallbottom frame, for the centered pop door. It is 12 x 12, and all the girls have no trouble going in or out. It is held up with a wood turnbutton for the day, and when dropped has a pair of turn butterflies used for storm windows. The girls are all sizes, Brahmas and Orps are large, and have no trouble here.

the idea has been made that if a right turn, like a vestabule on teh door is made, chickens can go in, but not something like a fox, or coyote, the 12x12 with the turn is too small for them to fit. I dunno, anybody use this idea?

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's my pop door . The picture is taking from the human door looking into the coop. The po[​IMG]p door is auto on a timer. Sweet!!!

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
  8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by