Iam's Smart Puppy Dog Food - recall alert!!!

BusyBlonde

Songster
8 Years
Sep 18, 2011
Bessemer City, NC
My husband and I picked up a healthy GSD-mix rescue dog on Saturday. She was only 5 weeks old, but had been rejected by her Mom and she had been eating & drinking, so the rescue said we could take her home.

Saturday night, my DH and I went through a horrible experience. Our new puppy had seizures. We were distraught, she was very weak the next day and 'out of it'. We took her to the rescue and their vet. They asked us dozens of questions, as they should - no, she didn't take a fall - we carried her up & down the stairs. No, she didn't eat anything she shouldn't. We have a 9-month old grandson that was over, and he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. We have to be diligent about keeping things out of his reach. There were six adults with their eyes on the baby and the puppy all night.

The only thing we did different was to try to introduce what we felt was a 'better' food than what the rescue had been feeding them - Iam's proactive health smart puppy. At first, they thought it might have been a food allergy. We didn't just switch - we only added a couple tablespoons to what she had been eating.

I cannot be 100% sure this is what caused the seizures, but that is the only thing that was different about her diet. She had no access to anything else that could make her sick. The rescue volunteer that we acquired the dog from has an Iam's rep who's a friend. The rep told her friend about the recall on Sunday, BEFORE it hit the news, when our wonderful rescue volunteer made it her mission to find out what could have caused such a violent reaction.

I've learned a LOT about dog foods the past couple days. I'll be making some changes to my older dog's diet, and will get the puppy off on the right track.

Our little girl has made a complete recovery - and will be coming home tomorrow! Now to find her a name...

You could contact Iams and find out if you had a batch of the recalled food. It was a specific batch that was pulled right away. 5 weeks is also pretty young to be eating processed dog food. I had a dog once (I also got at 5 wks) that couldn't process the food well, so I made the rice n burger, yogert mix for her for a couple weeks before moving her over to dog food completely. Changing her food too fast could cause her problems so if you can, switch the food gradually.

Although Iams was a good food at one time, they've been changing the food and I don't care for it much anymore. I've been using it for years. I wish the better food wasn't so expensive cause I'd switch, but I feed almost 40 lbs a week to my dogs and 35-40$ a bag is pretty pricey as it is!

Glad your pup is ok.

Last edited:
Quote:
Glad she's doing better. I feed my dog Kibbles. He's addicted LoL
Good luck naming her. She obviously deserves a great name
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom