Iaying soft shell eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amdayma, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Amdayma

Amdayma New Egg

Jul 15, 2012
    Ok my one lil gal has been having some wired issues, all of the sudden one of my other hens has been picking on her being mean last night she had recused herself to one corner of the run, feathers were all puffed out and she was acting funny , some liquid starting comming out and at about 8 pm she ended up passing a soft hell egg , this morning sometime between 8-12 today she laid another one I found the soft shell left in the coop, she seems healthy eating fine, no worms, no respitory, should I be worried any help would be nice

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I had a red sex-link hen that at about a year of age began laying soft shelled eggs. I increased the calcium but it didn't help. Then she started to lay eggs with no shell, talk about a mess in the nest box, I had her separated and she continued to lay those for 2 weeks. She finally started to lay hard shelled eggs but ALL of them were wrinkled. I ended up culling her because I couldn't sell her eggs and about half I retrieved from the nest box were cracked. I've heard that the super layer hybrids often have laying issues. I guess she was unlucky enough to be one of those girls.

3. lisababes

lisababes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I wouldnt start to worry unless it keeps up for more than a few days. I've had soft eggs now and then (often a couple in a row when it happens) but so far, for me, they've always solved themselves. Sometimes I think its some sort of stressor that causes it (weather, other birds, feed, temperature). If I ever see a softie, its a reminder for me to put in some oyster shell. I feed them layer feed, which should have enough calcium, but I also offer oyster shell in a separate container so they can pick more if they feel the need.

4. Amdayma

Amdayma New Egg

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks they do have a seperate dish of oyster shell that is always full I just found it odd she would pass two in less than 24 hours, I'll keep an eye on her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by