1. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Hi! I have four young hens i bought from a fair That have just reached the point of lay. When i brought them home i noticed one had a "cold"(Runny nose)... But it was just a little chick much younger than the other three and it had just made a friend so i didn't separate it [​IMG] I'm now very much regreting that desion So bottom line is they all got the "cold" except for one who got what i thought to be the same "cold" much later after the other ones were healed. So i brought her inside and have been treating her with VetRX And lots of TLC But a few nights ago I noticed some foamy stuff just a little in the corner of her eye the rest of the eye was fine no swelling at all. So i just wiped it away and forgot about it but today when i went down to the coop i noticed one of the hens (i got from the fair i got her at) That all surrounding both of her eyes were swollen no pus nothing Just swollen. So any way i looked on line and i think it might be IB? Any help?

Thanks
    Maddie

P.s. i don't know if this is important but she also had leg mites.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Look up Infectious Coryza. I tell you, ever since my first bad experience with my first flock of birds I am paranoid about this disease. It is HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS and can spread in hours. Separate any birds showing any signs and start them on "Sulmet". The swollen, bubbly eyes tells me that it is Coryza, which is basically a contagious virus.

I'm editing this to add that Coryza doesn't always kill the birds, but it does make them a carrier for life. Think about it like Aids...some birds will never show signs, some become sick but end up living long lives despite having been sick, others will deteriorate quickly and die.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Thanks! Do you think it still could be that even though her "cold" already cleared up?

Sorry for all the questions but do you think its okay to put the two sick birds together?

Last edited: May 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by