ICA Brown Chicks 3 months how much should I be feeding them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cosmosweaver11, Nov 5, 2015.

1. cosmosweaver11

cosmosweaver11 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2015
    I am new mommy of baby chicks and i have 13 three month olds. That are growing really fast as this breed does. They fly hop perch and have alot of feathers already. They were moved from a inside heated troft to a little heated brooder coop last weekend. As some of them were flying up and perching on edges n hopping out. I am wondering how much i should be actually feeding them?

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Feed all the want.. might want to search the no waste feeders. Here on byc..they save feed

3. cosmosweaver11

Jul 8, 2015
    Hmm IL check it out thanks for responding.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I leave feed out for mine full time. They will eat what they need.

5. cosmosweaver11

Jul 8, 2015
    Ok that's what I've been doing constantly but it seems as though there always acting like there starving

6. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I would get a feeder that you can keep full. So they eat when they want.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At three months, they should be fully feathered and off all heat.

that many birds would be eating approximately 4ish cups of feed a day, give or take. Growing birds can eat more, but it shouldn't be a ton more. If it's a lot more, you probably have a lot of waste.

The nice thing is the vast majority of birds will eat what they need. Just keep feed available and they'll eat what they need but not too much.

8. cosmosweaver11

Jul 8, 2015
    Thanks Donrae for the info as i really have no idea. I am in the tgeprocess of make a no waiste feeder as Rod-T suggested.the first one didnt come out to well but im going to try again. Otherwise feeling like im going to have to park my butt out there cause most of its just getting scattered everywhere.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think young birds are the worst about wasting feed. I need to get a no-waste feeder made for my bantam/grow out pen. I just put an old cookie sheet under the feeder to catch what they bill out, it's a lot of feed! And I've got that sucker hung so high they can barely reach it. I don't feed them any more until they clean up what's on the ground (now the cookie sheet).

Wasted feed is my new project to tackle. it's too much $$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by