Ice Day! Whoot!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bufforp89, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Just woke up to discover that I have an ice day! No school for the kiddos and no picking up horse poo for me today! Anyone else?

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    We have a 2 hour delay so far. Debating calling the kids off for the day.

How come no poo cleaning? I still have plenty to clean and with the temp being over 30 it won't be the easy frozen stuff!

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Today is our first day back in over a week. Even with the last few days in the mid 40's and drizzle, we still have patches of ice everywhere...

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Our schools don't call off for ice, and a blizzard has to be bad before they think about it. Gotta love when they say 'busses where possible'. That means if you are rural, drive your kids to school [​IMG]

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Kids are missing a lot of school up here in Oxford. Never seemed to do that back in the day when I was teaching. I suspect it is another of those litigation things--one kids falls on the ice and the district gets sued. There has also been a lot of "weather report" closings: they close because the prediction is bad but it never materializes. Next thing we'll be hearing that Spring Break will be cancelled or school will go on into July. They created a stir here when there was talk of staying open for MLK Day to make up for lost time. Don't know as they did but it was floated. BTW, by 10 am it was 33 and nothing falling out of the sky--about an inch of heavy, wet snow on the ground from overnight is all, added to the 14 or so inches that was already there.

ETA: To be fair, in most rural NYS schools the decision to close is dependent on what the local highway department head has to say--if he/she says that we can't clean the roads for the buses then the CSO has to close. IMHO this is happening more since the highway depts. have limited resources so they are opting as to cut down on the number of plowing/sanding runs. Not that I know for sure but I'll bet I'm close to being right. I do know that right now it is nearly noon, the plow hasn't been by here yet and it is a school bus route--usually they clear this road before 7:30.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by