1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ice....for your viewing displeasure. Pic HEAVY.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by luvmychicknkids, Feb 6, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, since I am finally able to put my pics on the computer I decided to share a few. It amazes me how beautiful ice is....yet so deadly. I was without power for a week and two days...there are still people without. I think the total count on power poles that had to be replaced (in Arkansas alone) was 4,500. OMG that is just unbelievable. My husband's car was destroyed and we had no insurance on it....he is going to be in Turkey for 15 months and what can possibly happen with it just sitting in the drive (I can't drive a standard). Yeah....right. Anyway, here are a few pics of the mess.

A dried flower covered in ice.
    [​IMG]
    My chickie house (thankfully not damaged)
    [​IMG]

SOOOOOO cold
    [​IMG]

My (thankfully intact) power line to my house
    [​IMG]

My poor hubby's car
    [​IMG]

My poor hubby
    [​IMG]

My mom's mulberry tree (split down the middle)
    [​IMG]

One of the downed poles (this one was across the road to my house for days)
    [​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It really is amazing how damaging ice storms are. Glad you all made it through OK.

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thank you. Yes, thankfully, all of my family and friends made it alright....unfortunately there were a few who did not, including a woman in her 90's who apparently froze to death in her apartment. [​IMG]

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    OMG that's awful. It's so important to look in on elderly neighbors during tough times. [​IMG]

5. cold pics there in AR.

Here is one of the "driveway". We were stuck for quite a while until a neighbor broke us out with a chainsaw.

[​IMG]

6. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Yes glad you made it through that. Sorry to hear about your husbands car though. I think those pictures are amazing. I love the first 4 pictures.

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Your driveway looks like a few of the roads I tried to drive down, rimshoes. I haven't dug out the chainsaw yet at my house.....trying to catch up on laundry still. [​IMG] Thankfully, though, we aren't blocked in. There are some HUGE limbs I am going to have to deal with though.

Thanks, lilshadow. I kept trying to find things that I thought were pretty to help make it seem less awful. [​IMG] It did actually help a little.

Oh, I know, jenspeeps. [​IMG] I can't imagine (especially in an apartment) why SOMEONE didn't make sure that lady was alright. [​IMG]

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    so how did you keep warm? do you have a fire place or did you go somewhere and stay that had power?

i agree beautiful and powerful and aweful at the same time.

glad you all are ok and your chickie house was unscathed.

me,
    g

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    We stayed at my mother's house at night (but actually slept in our car the first night when we were stuck). She didn't have power (almost no one did) but has a gas cookstove. So 8 of us (my family of 5 and she has two little girls she is raising) stayed crammed in two little rooms in her house for over a week!!! And no one was killed!!! Pretty impressive if I do say so myself. [​IMG]

10. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh wow, those are amazing pictures. That was a crazy storm to be in the middle of, I'm glad your family is alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by