ice in water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Angiebubs, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Today there was an ice coating on the water, when my SO scooped it off, a couple of them raced over to drink. I am planning on hooking up the heater waterers this weekend. But will they peck through a think layer of ice to drink or do I need to take care of this in the morning before work?

2. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    I dont know about others, but I don't think mine would peck it off. If it were me I would just get it off in the morning [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    TinkyFeathers: Thank you. I think I will wash it up,. fill in and see if I can't get the extension cord out to plug it in in the morning. (just hard as Im up at 6 and over an hour commute=thought it could wait one more day)

4. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    All my brids have lived through at least 1 winter and will peck thru thin ice to get to the water.

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Yep they will peck through it, and if it gets too thick they may break out their skates and play a bit of hockey to pass the time.

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine didn't seem to want to peck through it but when I took the ice off the top and threw it on the ground, they all wanted to peck the ice on the ground. [​IMG]

7. OldRoo

OldRoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Quote:would 3 eggs be a "hen" trick:lol:

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Mine never peck through ice but probably because I am too afraid that they never gave them much time to try before repalcing the water. Now I use a heated bucket so I don't have to worry. I'm glad to hear that everyones chickens are ice peckers so that they fight to survive.

9. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:[​IMG]

one of my waterers was iced over this am, i broke up and removed the chunks and they all rushed over for a drink. In the winter I replace their water every am because it's usually frozen or at least partially frozen.

10. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    This morning there was about 3/4 of an inch in their water tank and the gallon jugs were completely froze. I don't think they could have pecked through! So today I switched to heated waterers and put a deicer in the water tank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by